dirty lcd screen.

WaiKent 13:45 05 Nov 03

Hi can anyone give me tips on cleaning an LCD screen as it has gained dirty marks all over it. are there any special wipes that get rid of these stains? or any other way to do it?

Stuartli 14:19 05 Nov 03

I wouldn't use wipes of any kind as screens have a special anti-glare coating which is comparatively delicate.

I use a very, very soft, lint free cloth and wipe the screen after breathing on it section by section.

This keeps the screen clean without any danger of damaging the surface.

woodchip 14:25 05 Nov 03

Just a damp cloth

Stuartli 14:33 05 Nov 03

PS

It's particularly important not to use any ammonia or alcohol based cleaning products on monitor or TFT screens; when cleaning a screen you should switch the computer system off at the mains, but leave the plug connected.

Djohn 14:57 05 Nov 03

Not had to do mine yet, [6 months] just flick a feather duster over it every day! ;o)

My Son arrived home at the weekend and his laptop screen was disgusting, [Think he had been eating his meals off it! I used a soft cotton cloth, (Piece of old T shirt) dipped into a bowl of filtered water with the tiniest drop of soap solution added.

Well wrung out so as to leave slightly damp. Very gently wiped over the screen, without pressing. Then as "Stuartli" buff with a soft dry cloth and the occasional use of a little breath to polish to a smear free display.

I would suggest you always use filtered/bottled, or distilled water, Tap water may have hard particles in it, especially if you live in a "Hard" water area. j.

WaiKent 15:28 06 Nov 03

no, its just that i went to pc world and there were these wipes specially for lcd or tft and i was wondering if anyone had tried em before. they cost 4.99 pretty expensive.

Southernboy 15:35 06 Nov 03

there is an acid in breath. Certainly, we are told that coated photographic lenses should be "seen but not hurred"!! Seriously, it has always been a no no to breathe on any camera lens as it will damage to coating. I am sure the same must apply to monitors with a coating.

Mitsubishi refers to special glass cleaner but does anyone actually sell it, apart from cheapo, non-branded products? If you pay a lot for a monitor, don't ruin it by skimping on the accessories.

bretsky 16:31 06 Nov 03

Just a GOOD damp chamois leather and wipe in gentle horizontal strokes....thats it!...Bretsky.

Filch 16:50 06 Nov 03

For several years I have used (with no ill effects) Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and a cotton (cotton wool) ball. Use one ball just damp with the alcohol and a dry ball to buff it a bit.

Stuartli 17:23 06 Nov 03

Monitor manufacturers go to great pains to point out NOT to use ammonia or alcohol based cleaning solutions.

Proxy Worm 17:27 06 Nov 03

I use a lense cleaner, (very big one) which is lint free and is scratch resistant to the TFT, or you could buy some wipes which are quite expensive from your loacal computer outlet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…