dirt cheap hosting.too cheap?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 19:49 14 Dec 04
  Sethhaniel 10:05 15 Dec 04

only get :-

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

with the above link

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 19:08 15 Dec 04

just transfered my domain to this hosting,i am well impressed at £1 a month is great!.seth - i have no idea whats wrong,it works fine over here.cheers.ben

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 19:28 15 Dec 04

well as i don't need a dedicated server,im fine,with 250mb space,anyway whos going to visit my site?.im happy with paying £1 a month i don't mind what profits "tony" makes im happy,so why complain about it?.cheers

Patr100 21:27 15 Dec 04

Aren't UK web based busineeses legally required to have a snail mail contact address on their site?
Can't see one.

Forum Editor 00:58 16 Dec 04

I find it hard to believe that any web host can provide a proper service for £1 a month, but the proof of the pudding etc.

Patr100 is right - it's a legal requirement that any online business based on a server within the UK must publish a postal address at which the business's owners/managers may be contacted. I see no mention of a privacy policy on the site either, and that would worry me.

Taran 02:07 16 Dec 04

The first thing that struck me was that the left hand column for the navigation panel on the Hosting page click here has been improperly set and its reduced width means that the text reading "Secure payment withPayPal..." has a great big vertical line going through it.

I also hit a snag when I visited the actual site homepage click here

The top left side bar link called Home leads out of the site to a yourdomain.com address and from that it seems reasonable to assume that the site has been made using an off the peg template of some sort.

Anyone offering hosting for £1 or £2 per month won't be in business for long.

Do some simple maths and work out how many paying account holders you would need to make any sort of reasonable income. Now multiply that amount of paying clients by the amount of server space, bandwidth use, number of email accounts and so on those users would be going through. The numbers just don't add up, especially if you start to get support requests that have to be dealt with, despite them not producing any revenue return. Server space and bandwidth are not cheap and I see no benefit to the company in offering £1 per month hosting.

The free page hit counter is also a bit of a giveaway.

And finally, the domain was registered slightly over a month ago, so this is not a well established business by any stretch of the imagination. It is tagged to veloxinternetusa.net which offers reseller accounts, among other things. While we're on that topic, the veloxinternetusa.net address, despite having overtones of the States in its name, is owned by a chap in Stoke-on-Trent.

Go figure.

I think the really worrying factor here is what happens to your site if (when) the company goes down the pan. The cheapest web hosting on the planet suddenly becomes useless to you in that event.

Patr100 02:29 16 Dec 04
  Sethhaniel 08:35 16 Dec 04

click here
----
Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on lines 143, 189, 238 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.
-------
my site had 35 errors
-
pca site had 471 errors
-
this one gets above message - strange
keep your card details to yourself till you get good feedback from it ;)

mac_gyver 15:27 17 Dec 04

If you are panicing the contact details (from their domain reg.) are as follows:

Host-321
39 Hangleton St
Birmingham
B11 2QD

email: usman (at)tesco.net (I've checked this and its a valid mailbox)

Tel: 07835041777

Good luck!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…