Directx will not install

gypsyqueen2u 10:17 09 Nov 05

I have directx 7 on pc with win98SE OS and I need directx 9 for my games, however when I try to install 9 it fails saying 1 or more directx components are being used by an application, close application and retry setup.I have closed all apps before setup, then when that didn't work I shutdown everything I could in startup processes, still didn't work! I did ctrl-alt-delete and closed everything but explorer and still I could not install. So I got desperate and used a program to get rid of Directx so I could do a clean install.....Still will not install and it gives me the same message. Does anyone know what I must do to install for now I have no Directx but there are some components stuck somewhere!
Thanks,
Morgan

ACOLYTE 10:21 09 Nov 05

Are you installing off a game cd or off the web?
click here

gypsyqueen2u 11:19 09 Nov 05

I have tried both, neither works.

gypsyqueen2u 21:33 09 Nov 05

Now my pc is giving me real hell because I don't have any directx working with applications. Does anyone know what I can do?

Skyver 22:38 09 Nov 05

Running this while attempting a fresh DirectX install may reveal exactly which files are preventing the process from completing, it would give you more to go on. click here
Shut down any un-neccessary tasks before running it, it can generate very large event lists.

gypsyqueen2u 22:56 09 Nov 05

Thank you I will try it!

gypsyqueen2u 04:42 10 Nov 05

Well, I downloaded the program and ran it but all it showed running was the install. I still cannot install the directx, it failed again. I have noticed that the directx files can be moved and/or copied except for the ones starting with ddraw. Could that mean something to anyone?

Skyver 10:18 10 Nov 05

You need to look out for failed WRITE entries in the 5th column. Try uninstalling your video card drivers, if you haven't done so already.

gypsyqueen2u 07:52 12 Nov 05

I did uninstall the video drivers. I was able to install directx 6, then I installed 7 and 8 without a problem but it still refuses to install 9.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…