DirectX and problem getting Google Earth to load

Liverbird 21:25 22 Jan 07

I'm embarrassed to be back to this forum so soon after my previous post, but here goes:

When I try to run Google Earth I get a message about how it cannot run because it needs DirectX9. It suggests a link to microsoft etc etc

I used this programme up until recently. I think that I may have done something that stops DirectX working when I removed a Trojan with a free programm. I cannot remember what the warning said when I clicked to go ahead with the procedure, but something to the effect that this might effect programmes from running correctly in the future. At the time I was more concerned about not having a Trogan on my system than an unspecified unwanted outcome.

I've done what the pop up said. I've been trying for days to download DirectX from microsoft. The first few attempts didn't work (I don't know why), but this evening I've done it. I ran the programme to install it and then tried Google Earth. To my surprise and consternation it's giving the same message. I'm at a loss to know what to do next. Anybody recognise this problem?

STREETWORK 21:30 22 Jan 07

Click 'start' 'programs' and select google earth.

Select the option to run in open GL mode. This should do the trick...

Liverbird 22:49 22 Jan 07

That worked immediately, and it seems to be fine.

It doesn't explain why the DirectX didn't work though, which I'd like to know if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me.

Thanks

Liverbird 22:49 22 Jan 07

That worked immediately, and it seems to be fine.

It doesn't explain why the DirectX didn't work though, which I'd like to know if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…