DirectX installation Problem

Newuser55 21:24 31 Oct 03

I have been attempting to install DirectX8 (upgrade from DX7), but when I attempt to run the downloaded update file, the program stalls, and my CPU usage sticks @ 100%. Attempts to stop the installation program from running usually end in my having to "pull the plug".
Thsi is all very frustrating, especialy since I relaise that the update should be painless and quick.
Any ideas, please ?

sil_ver 23:21 31 Oct 03

Just possible you've got to many progs running in the background. Before going on the web, reboot do a ctrl+alt+del and shutdown all progs that don't need to run.

Newuser55 23:41 31 Oct 03

I shall try that. I have realised that during the apparent 'dead' stage, with the CPU at 100%, some 20,000+ "inf" files are created in my "inf" folder!
Each is of zero length. Any ideas?
This also happened last week when I was attempting to install "flash7". I feel that I may have a software fault on my machine, but what? A clean reinstall (god forbid!)?

hugh-265156 00:38 01 Nov 03

click here and download direct x9

even if your card is only dx8 compatable it will work ok.you can install this version just like any other program/exe.

Newuser55 11:29 01 Nov 03

Thank you for your advice(s), but at last I have succeeded in getting directX9 installed. My main problem was one of impatience. I just did not appreciate the time it took for the initial install program, downloaded from Microsoft, to run and then download and install the full directX itself (I hope that I am making sense). Good advice on "killing" all other running programs..thanks again to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…