DirectX confusion

geedad 08:37 30 Oct 05

I have Windows XP and when I install some games, I am asked if I would like to install the Directx components of the software. Sometimes these are of a lower number than those I have installed already, and I tend not to accept these, thinking that if I have the highest DirextX installed, EG 9x, why do I need the lower numbers?
OR, is there a piece of software out there which will install ANY and ALL DirectX files to overcome any future snags?
geedad

User-312386 09:01 30 Oct 05

sounds like you need directx 9.0c click here

CLONNEN 12:28 30 Oct 05

Personally I always click Yes to extra components such as DirectX when installing new games and software on my computer. I know it takes a few seconds longer but in my opinion it cuts down on the risk of installation problems. For example some games will NOT work unless you click YES - I have come across a few like this.

Same thing with Quicktime and other components.

geedad 19:21 30 Oct 05

madboy33©®
CLONNEN
Thanks to you both.
I think I agree with CLONNEN about clicking "YES" when asked about DirectX ???? whatever!
It is a mystery to me why this is not updated regularly by game producers. I also find producer's updates or patches solutions are never simple to either find or install.
geedad

Splork 22:43 30 Oct 05

I find I have to keep `repairing` the same people's PC's after they've installed DirectX 6/7/8/8.1 over 9.0c, surely one of these tech-heads can work out a system to check for the current DirectX install version and skip the installation question if the PC in question is already up to date....

Skills 22:53 30 Oct 05

Indeed i never click yes to direct x if its at a lower version to the one I have installed on my system.

If you go to start then run and type dxdiag you'll get a box pop up and from that you'll be able to tell what version of direct x you have installed.

Splork 23:19 30 Oct 05

Ta Skills, I wish someone involved in writing software/game installers would come up with a system for automating it. Even explaining the DXDiag thing is too much for some people...I've even ended up blocking adobe etc in the hosts file for the same people, to stop them downloading 70mb of Adobe Acrobat just to read .PDF's. (FoxitReader ;) )
Perhaps I'm getting too picky...

Stuartli 23:20 30 Oct 05

Depending whether it's the US or UK version of the calendar, DirectX 9c was released in either April or August of last year.

Splork 23:25 30 Oct 05

Is there some additional patch to DirectX lately? I seem to have seen `fresh` downloads for 9.0c, and patches to the older versions of DX when checking Windows Update from other systems recently.

Mr Beeline 00:13 31 Oct 05

I suspect any update to DirectX would come out as another release (IE. 9d). As already commented, version 9c has been out for a while now. As long as you have the latest version, there is no need to re-apply it when installing a new game. The latest version/s are also always backward compatible (IE. will run DirectX6/7/8 games). Some game installers do check to see what version you are running and don't ask if you have the latest (though not all games by a long shot).

geedad 20:45 31 Oct 05

madboy33©®
CLONNEN
Splork
Stuartli
Skills
Mr Beeline
Thanks a lot to you all!
It seems we have something in common regarding better construction of games to enable users to play these and get a simple fix if something DOES go wrong. After all, the expertise which goes into the development of games, makes one think that it could be done by a couple of clicks, thereby correcting known ( by the developers)problems.
A great forum team!
Thanks,
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…