DirectX 9 problems

||||wx622|||| 19:25 16 May 03

I've been having a couple of problems with DirectX 9a. Since installing it, I cannot run some games that have always worked on my pc since I installed DX9. These are FIFA 2003 and Grand Prix 4. Both these want DX 8.1, but I know DX9 cannot be uninstalled, and running a DX8 setup program doesn't do anything because it logically doesn't update the 'newer' files. I run Win. Me, have a GeForce 4 graphics card with latest drivers. Any ideas...

Dark Knight 19:40 16 May 03

I don't know the answer to your question but would be interested to know if anyone else is having problems before upgrading myself.... I have both games you mention.

Lú-tzé 19:41 16 May 03

Any chance that you have a restore point from before you installed DX9? If not, there is a prog out there on the net somewhere which allows the removal of DX9 but I am not sure if it works with WinME.

I will have a search and if I find it, I will post a link.

Lú-tzé 19:49 16 May 03

Sorry, the DX9 uninstaller seems to be only for XP. I cannot find another reference for WinME.

citadel 21:11 16 May 03

I am using dx9a, win me, and a ti4200. I have had no problems with playing any games. Even dx7 games play ok.

Philip2 21:33 16 May 03

It looks like you will have to format and reinstall your OS i know thats a pain but i no of no other way,as a matter of interest did you disable your antivirus?? before installing Direct X9.

Taw 21:37 16 May 03

I installed dx9 and ended up with serious graphics issues Im on xp with a gforce 2mx On using my restore point I couldnt get it to run at all in the end I done clean install and just use 8.1 machine has been super since

wx622 20:05 23 May 03

My restore data has become corrupted. I need another way to sort the problem out. I am considering upgrading to XP Professional. Is this a good idea???

hugh-265156 20:27 23 May 03

if you look in dxdiag you will see a lot of beta files in 9.0a.

try the final redist version.click here

kane_2002k 20:33 23 May 03

Especially if your running an older graphics card, wait till games appear that actually make use of it, and even then i would only upgrade if my graphics card was directx 9 capable. Alot of problems with direct x 9 if you go to other forums, esp. graphics card ones.

hugh-265156 20:38 23 May 03

its backwards compatable.if everything is ok with 8.1 then leave it as above you wont see any improvement even if you card supports it,for a while yet anyway.but if you are having problems with 9.0a then give this a try.i had numerous crashes with it and none with the final version better than a reformat and less risky than 3rd party uninstaller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…