Directory utility needed

seedie 13:09 20 Mar 05

Can any person point me to a utility which will display a list of files including sub directories from c:\ with a specified date. ie 20-03-05 or even 2005-03-20

Many thanks

CD

Technotiger 13:18 20 Mar 05

Have not looked myself, but maybe here -

click here

Cheers.

seedie 13:46 20 Mar 05

thanks for your interest; I've spent the last 2 hours downloading quite a few DIR utilties , and there are hundreds of them, and wondered if some person had experience of one which would do this.

I've tried using xxcopy too, xxcopy *.* /ltree /da:. but that does not list directory contents :(

Technotiger 13:59 20 Mar 05

Sorry, I can't help further. Good luck in your search anyway.

Cheers.

seedie 14:43 20 Mar 05

^

octal 14:59 20 Mar 05

I might be understanding fully what you are trying to achieve, sorry if I'm a bit dim, but if you ask the computer to return files for a specific date, that's exactly what you'll get, dozons of them, because the computer is constantly writing to files all the time, especially if you are on the Internet.

Is there a file you are particularly looking for?

seedie 15:22 20 Mar 05

thanks for yyour thoughts octal; what I want is a directory listing of all the files which are date stamped on a date I specify.

One trouble with windows is that it makes me lazy. I addressed the problem a different way and solved it. Using a command line in dos, the command

DIR \ /S | FIND "20/03/05" |MORE

will show all today's files from c:\ downwards.

If I alter it to send the output to a text file it would be

DIR \ /S | FIND "20/03/05" > dates.txt

Best wishes

CD

pj123 15:30 20 Mar 05

I have PowerDesk 5 on my PC and use it exclusively instead of Windows Explorer.

I have just checked it out and (although I have never used it to find files by date) there is a facility to do just that.

Download it free from the PCA Forum Download page

click here

Once installed, run it and go to Tools, Find, File Finder, and click on the Details, tab. Now drop the menu on Date down and select your preferences and follow the prompts.

Hope it works for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…