Director Player requires at least 3Mb of free...

mdshamilton 09:27 15 Apr 04

I bought a new Dell PC (P4 3Ghz, 1G of RAM) and I'm having some problems getting some of my son's educational games to work. When I try to run any of 4 games the error message that comes up in a dialogue box is: "Director player 6.0 requires at Least 3mb of free virtual memory to run.". There is plenty of virtual memory allocated though.

Any ideas what's wrong and how I can get these simple games to run?

Thanks,

Mark

anon1 09:32 15 Apr 04

click here
That should help you.

mdshamilton 09:57 15 Apr 04

Thanks anon1, I did try that last night with a maximum size of 200Mb but still ended up with the same error.

Any other suggestions? One I haven't tried yet that I found this morning (I'm also wary of messing about in the Windows folder) is:

"Director Player is a Macromedia product. When you run software that use it to run the game or software (such as Jump Start software-which I have and use w/ my kids) it will launch Director Player. It seems any Knowledge Adventure software uses it- such as Jump Start software. Do a search on JSLG_PH.exe and delete the prefetch file in c:\windows\prefetch. The file I deleted was JSLG_PH.exe-2B29FF73.pf."

Is this safe?

mdshamilton 20:19 15 Apr 04

Neither of the above solutions work for this problem. What's bizarre is that I can set the paging size to 200Mb, but it never changes the allocated amount below 1534Mb.

Any ideas at all?

mdshamilton 13:01 23 Apr 04

In order to get the paging file (Virtual Memory) below 1.5 times the physical RAM I had to click the button to set the paging file to "none", following a restart I could then raise the paging file to 500Mb which works OK on some older kids games. However, once in awhile XP Home "forgets" I've done this and resets itself back to 1.5 times physical RAM...so I have to repeat the process.

anon1 14:01 23 Apr 04

Isn't that what the link I posted told you to do. (set to 500 or lower)

mdshamilton 16:07 14 May 04

Thanks for your link. What the link didn't tell me was that I had to set the paging file to zero first, save that, restart the PC and then increase the page file to 500Mb. If I simply set it straight to 500Mb it wouldn't save that...and would default to 1500Mb despite restarting the PC as advised. If others have this problem it's important to be aware of the overall solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…