Direct3D test failure

Thurrafork 22:25 08 Jan 07

Hello folks
Just happened to be running the DxDiag display tests - not because there was a problem, I just hadn't run them for a while - the DirectDraw tests were fine, but when i tried the Direct3D ones they all failed. The image of the spinning cube seemed somehow corrupted - just a scribbly spinning mess. I don't seem to be having any problems with the games I'm playing at the moment, but I'm a bit concerned about this.
I have the latest DirectX 9.0c (Dec), and I have a nvidia 7800GTX with the latest 93.71 drivers.
Any ideas folks?

Thurrafork 15:05 09 Jan 07

Anyone know about this kind of thing?

Thurrafork 19:41 09 Jan 07

...any.. anyone?

gudgulf 20:19 09 Jan 07

Have a look in your nvidia control panel settings and make sure that you don't have "wait for vertical sync" turned to "Off".

Set it to "Application Controlled" or "On" and try the dxdiag DirectX test again.

Thurrafork 01:47 10 Jan 07

Thanks gudgulf
That completely did the trick!
Anyone know why having V sync set to off in the nvidia control panel causes this Direct3D test failure?

gudgulf 08:46 10 Jan 07

I think it's because your graphics card can render such a high frame rate on such a simple test with v.sync turned off that none of the images sent to the monitor are aligned.

It's like the "tearing " you can get in games when you move rapidly with v.sync off.....but at an extreme level.

Having v.sync on caps the frame rate at your monitors refresh rate (or at a fixed value dependent of the application) and allows each successive image in the sequence to follow on from the last in the correct sequence.

V.sync explained click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced