direct x 9 causing problems?

dfghjkl 00:14 11 Oct 03

i have installed direct x 9,i have been having problems with start up and freezing in games,it freezes on start up and i have to reset in 4 or 5 times.i have just realised that my graphics card is only direct x 8.would this cause problems?if so how can i get rid?it is not in add\remove progs,thanks

hugh-265156 00:31 11 Oct 03

even though your card is direct x8 direct x9 will work with it as its backwards compatable.you may need to upgrade you graphics card drivers to direct x9 compatable ones though.

ati click here nvidia click here to get up to date ones for your card.

make sure its direct x9b click here you can install the redist version like any other .exe and dont need a net connection to do it apart from downloading that is.

failing that you can go bak to 8.1 if you set a restore point with xp before upgrading to direct x9 using system restore or using click here

mark500 00:32 11 Oct 03

click here

Download this tool to remove V9 then reinstall 8.1. Carefully read ALL instructions and don't do it 'till you feel comfortable.

dfghjkl 00:51 11 Oct 03

thanks mark 500 but it is in german , if i download is it in english(the instructions) i did not know it was backwards compatable. i only suggested it because i have read that people have had problems with 9

hugh-265156 00:56 11 Oct 03

what graphics card and graphics driver version are you using?

my link above should be in english.

you shouldnt really need to uninstall it if you have up to date drivers for the card.last resort to use it,it does work though if all else fails.

Irishman 01:03 11 Oct 03

There are reported problems with Direct x9 although most of the ones I have seen have to do with sound,exactly the problems I'm having. Changing the on board sound driver hasn't made a blind bit of difference nor has changing the graphics card driver. The read me text in Mark500's link is in English and I am going to study it for a while before I try it!!

hugh-265156 01:10 11 Oct 03

version 9a of direct x causes problems for some as some of the files are beta.9b is final retail and causes little problems for most people.even if you have a 8.1 card(and i have myself) you will still need to install dx9 to play the latest games like colin macrae rally, gta vice city or freelancer for example.otherwise they will not work of crash all the time.

hugh-265156 01:11 11 Oct 03

as above make sure its 9b and the drivers are up to date for the card.

hugh-265156 01:11 11 Oct 03

of = or

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…