Direct PC Connection

Adam87 19:12 21 Feb 05

Id like to connect my desktop and laptop directly to each other via their NIC's.

I have a CAT 5E Patch Cable, which worked with my friends and my laptop but doesnt with my laptop-desktop connection.

Both machines have different names and are in the same workgroup.

What do I have to do to get them connected?

spikeychris 19:29 21 Feb 05

When you say it doesn't work what do you mean? Are the machines seeing each other at all? Have you disabled the firewalls? Have you run the network wizard? What operating systems are you using?

Adam87 19:37 21 Feb 05

Sorry for the lack of info. wasnt sure exactly what to include.

Laptop - Win XP Home
Desktop - Win 98SE

I only have a firwall on my desktop - ZoneAlarm - since its the only 1 I accesss internet on.

On the 98 machine, for primary network logon, I used the Client for MS Networks.

Neither machines have an IP in the TCP/IP properties.

When I type "\\Machine_Name" it says it cant find it.

spikeychris 19:53 21 Feb 05

Have to pull the plug - when you are setting up a LAN you MUST either allow access through a firewall or disable it. You can configure one later but at this early stage a firewall is not important.

If you are running 98 and XP its always a good idea to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Right click the local area network connection and click Properties.

Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Click Advanced.

Click WINS.

Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.

mgmcc 20:34 22 Feb 05

<<Neither machines have an IP in the TCP/IP properties.>>

If you are not using "Internet Connection Sharing", which would automatically configure the 'host' PC with the IP address 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and allocate an IP address in the same range by DHCP to the 'client' PC, then you must enter fixed IP addresses yourself.

Give the two PCs the IP addresses 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 with the same subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 and ensure that these addresses are in Zone Alarm's "Trusted Zone".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…