Direct CD Drivers and XP

Alf58 23:19 27 May 03

I recently bought a new Xp based computer system with Nero installed as OEM. I tried to play some video CDs I made on my old system (Windows ME and Roxio Easy CD Creator)The videos cant be played because according to the error message, an updated driver is required and has to be downloaded feom Roxio. On the sight there is an update available but it says I must install Easy CD Creator on my Xp system for the driver to work. I dont want to cause a conflict with Nero but I would like to run my old videos. Anyone know if If I can get install the driver without the entire Roxio suite?

The Transporter 23:53 27 May 03

If you go into Start - run

services.msc

it is called IMAPI CD Burning COM Service

Using Nero along side Roxio should cause no problems. If unsure set the service to manual.

Just right click on it and go into properties.

If worried make a restore point, then install Roxio. If it doesn't work, just un-install or restore the machine to an earlier date.
:-)

If you are having trouble playing actual video cd's. Put the cd into the machine explore the cd.
Go into the MPEGAV Directory, and use a third party dvd player like Power DVD XP for Win XP to play back the example.DAT file.

Just right click the file and open with "powerDVD"
You can get it for about £10 or less nowadays.

Also check you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Because the actual playback of a video cd should not be effected by what burning software you have installed.

:-) hope it helps

Alf58 00:41 28 May 03

Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated. My problem seems to be to do with a "UDF Reader". When I explore the cd all I get is an Icon for this UDF reader and if I click on it, it offers to install. When it installs it reboots then XP tells me a driver has been installed that would make the system unstable so it is preventing it from being opened. It then recommends the driver update from Roxio as I explained in my first message. I cant open the video clips on the Xp machine because they are not even detected as I said just the UDF icon. I would rather not install Roxio on my XP system, I'm hapy with its stability and the performance of Nero.

Smiler 09:39 28 May 03

In the heading for this thread you mention Direct CD but there is no mention in the text. Do you need Direct CD to read the video cds if so why dont you install INCD from nero. This is the equivalent program to Direct CD and is downloadable from click here

Alf58 21:21 28 May 03

The files were originally burned using Direct CD but you are supposed to be able to read them on any machine as long as you have a "UDF reader". I guess what I need is a UDF Reader which is compatible with Win Xp.

beeuuem 22:36 28 May 03

This udf reader may help click here

DieSse 23:48 28 May 03

Roxio UDF redaer free download direct from roxio click here

See last item on page.

beeuuem 00:02 29 May 03

Normally I check my posted links to make sure that they work, with the one above I didn't and it doesn't!.
Thanks for posting a better link.

Alf58 00:28 29 May 03

Actually, neither of the above links work but thanks for trying guys.

beeuuem 01:00 29 May 03

The link from DieSse worked for me, but try this one click here

Alf58 01:14 29 May 03

I managed to download the UDF reader from Roxio and all seems to be working. Thanks to all those who offered help. Problem started with XP reporting a suspect driver rather than saying "You need a UDF reader". Anyway, thanks to you guys all is now ok thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…