dipso! i need your help!

harps1h 14:12 13 Dec 07

foolishly i installed vista ultimate on my computer and now i cant get an internet connection. i know my network is fine as my daughters xp system is working off it wirelessly. however whenever i try connecting to it via my ethernet cable it tells me i have limited connection. all was fine before installed vista so there is nothing wrong with the modem/router internal settings

this is a desperate plea for help and anybody else who has exprience of this might want to chip in

harps1h 14:14 13 Dec 07

i should add that the router is a belkin 7633 and the nic is onboard the asus m2n32 sli deluxe mobo

Dipso 17:00 13 Dec 07

I'm not aware of any particular problems with that combination but will have a dig around. All I could suggest in the meantime is trying a repair or uninstalling the NIC using device manager then reinstalling or checking for newer drivers.

harps1h 17:25 13 Dec 07

thank you for the reply. I'll try that and check back. in the meantime if you come up with anything............

Dipso 21:50 13 Dec 07

It now looks like your problem may be with IPv6.

Go into the Properties of the LAN connection and untick Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) reboot the PC and see if this helps.

harps1h 23:41 13 Dec 07

i have tried uninstalling the nic but it reinstalls within secs. i now have a netgear nic in the machine and have unchecked the ipv6 as you said but it still wont connect.

harps1h 08:29 14 Dec 07

whenever i g to the network sharing it shows the computer linkd to the network as a local connection only and wont connect to the internet past it. is there a possibilty of another scurity setting i dont know about holding it back. i have hard wired another xp laptop to the router and it connected so checked all the settings that were there and the ones on the vista were the same. I am ready to pull my hair out and seem to be going around in circles. i haven;t altered anything on vista yet as i was trying to get internet first. so could it be anything there?

Dipso 14:13 14 Dec 07

Mmmm...the only other solution I saw was to try another network card which I see you have done.

I run Vista and don't have this problem and I don't think it's a case of missing a setting. I still think it's something to do with IPv6. Going off some other posts on here and elsewhere it may need a registry modification to disable IPv6, mgmcc has posted a link on how to disable here click here if you are prepared to try this back up the reg first.

Dipso 14:14 14 Dec 07

Mmmm...the only other solution I saw was to try another network card which I see you have done.

I run Vista and don't have this problem and I don't think it's a case of missing a setting. I still think it's something to do with IPv6. Going off some other posts on here and elsewhere it may need a registry modification to disable IPv6, mgmcc has posted a link on how to disable here click here if you are prepared to try this back up the reg first.

Dipso 09:08 16 Dec 07

Any joy with this yet harps1h?

harps1h 11:17 16 Dec 07

sorry about not getting back but this is the first i have been able to work at it. no i have no connection and the router is fine as the this borrowed laptop on xp is hardwired to it. the vista computer is not connecting at all even to the 192 address and when pinged it ipconfig is run it is getting a 169 address, so somewhere conversion is failing. i have tried manually setting the default gateway and ip addresses to no avail and now i am struggling to find away around having no knowledge of vista. i am pretty sure i am missing a trick somewhere but where is the mystery. i tried disabling ip6 and that didn;t work but iam prepared to try the registry change as there ia no programs put on this computer due to the initial setup problems. if you have come across any other info i would be most grateful

harpur

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…