Dimensions of memory chip

ricvic 10:22 05 Sep 03

I've recently bought an extra 64mb of memory for my ageing laptop. The description (144pin, sdram, 3.3v etc) is precisely as stated in the manual. However the new chip differs from the existing chips in being approx 0.25cm bigger (from pins to the top of the chip). This means that will not fit in the confined space.

Those of you who know about such things: does memory come in differing dimensions? And how could i have known about this? Or is this not what I ordered?

Seadog 11:15 05 Sep 03

I think certain manufacturers sometimes fit their own memory, one that has been designed and manufactured for their particular machines, I know that the memory in my old (1999!) AJP laptop is a different physical size to that in my new (2001) Dell machine, but as far as I remember is of the same specification. The Dell memory is smaller, maybe it is a sign of progress and things reducing in size - is the memory quoted to fit your particular laptop or have you just ordered it by specifications?

ricvic 11:55 05 Sep 03

Thanks for your response.
I ordered by spec of memory. I had previously bought from Crucial, whose memory was the same size as the original. However Crucial no longer have a chip in this spec.
The retailer has agreed to take it back and attempt an exchange, so no harm done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…