Dim Monitor

s99Raj 10:30 06 Sep 03

I have this very old PC and recently it started hanging on "verifying DMI pool" or something (I suspect a bad hard drive) and the monitor is now very dim so I can hardly see what's on it. Other PC's work fine with the monitor and so I know the problem is not there. Sometimes the monitor is perfect under this problem PC and sometimes it goes back to being dim again. I've tried changing the battery inside but the monitor is still very dim.

I've tried changing the graphics card but still get the same dim monitor.

Could it be the motherboard? Cheers.

Kitz E Kat 21:29 06 Sep 03

click here the following to say....

The message verifying DMA pool data is a DOS check of your IRQ settings and your DMA channels. It sounds like you have a device conflict. A device conflict occurs when two different hardware components or cards try to use the same interrupt (IRQ) or the same channel (DMA). If you have installed any new items on your computer lately, I would suspect that device as causing the problem. To check for device and IRQ conflicts in DOS, type "msd" at a DOS prompt. Review the IRQ section to see which devices have been assigned interrupts and which have not. In Win95/Win98 go in to Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager and look for any yellow exclamation marks or red Xs (open all the device directories so you can see individual items). These indicate a device that is not working properly. You may need to go to safe mode to make some changes.
It is the only thing that makes sense to me, let me know how you get on..
Oh yeah try booting into DOS and typing sys c:, may help...
Kitz E Kat

s99Raj 01:28 07 Sep 03

There seem to be no device conflicts.
I have managed to format the hard drive and to load Windows 98SE from the start. But I still have the same problem, that of the display being too dim, as if the brightness and contrast have been turned down. As I said, it can't be the monitor because other PC's work fine with it, and I've tried two different graphics cards but both give me the same dim display.

Djohn 01:35 07 Sep 03

Is the power cable, [Not the signal cable] plugged into the rear of your PC or is it a separate cable to the wall/extension socket?

s99Raj 18:28 07 Sep 03

The power cable to the monitor is separate to the PC.
Anyway, I think I've solved it. I stuck in a new power supply and I haven't had any problems since.

Djohn 20:08 07 Sep 03

Good news. That's where I was heading with my reply above, thought that the power supply was not up to the job, especially if monitor was plugged into as well. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…