Digitsing 8mm cine film

Dirty Dick 19:46 21 Oct 09

My mother-in-law has several reels of 8mm film that is really the history of her family growing up.

Does anyone know a way of putting it onto DVD, preferably free or cheap ?

Thanx

DD

Technotiger 20:05 21 Oct 09

If the 8mm camera is still available, and if it has a suitable connection for the PC, then the films could be captured to the hard drive and transferred to DVD.

stlucia 08:46 22 Oct 09

I believe there is no cheap way of doing it, unless you have access to an 8mm projector and can then video the projected display.

I transferred my Super 8 films to digital a year or so back using a company in Norfolk (I think). I can't remember the company's name, but if you Google "cine film transfer" you'll get plenty of hits.

The company I used had optional services to wash your film before transfer, and to put it into several different media. I chose to have my films in .avi format on mini dvd tapes so that I could then download them onto my PC and edit them.

BT 08:50 22 Oct 09

I think he means 8mm Cine Film not Video.

This is one place that you can get it done
click here

but if you Google 'film to DVD' you will get loads more

Technotiger 09:53 22 Oct 09

I have a Video/Audio Processor-Mixer attached to my PC, via which I can do as I said above, the same way as I can transfer VHS, from an attached VCR to my PC for further processing. I could also attach a 8mm Camera to my VCR, via front phono sockets, as long as the camera has the necessary connections.

Dirty Dick 10:49 22 Oct 09

I have just picked up the "projector" and it appears to be that old that it runs on gas !!

There are no "connections" to connect to to my PC (I don't think PC's were around when this was made !!

It is 8mm cine film, on spools, & not video.

Looks like I will put the films in storage in the attic for now.

Thanx for all your responses.

DD

Fingees 11:33 22 Oct 09

If you can project the film onto a small white sheet of paper, you can film it with a video camera, and at the same time these can normally be connected to a computer.

That's the way I did mine.

I stuck the white paper into the inside bottom of a cardboard box, which helped keep the light out whilst projecting and filming.

Diemmess 12:15 22 Oct 09

I converted all my family "Baby on the lawn" type 8mm and Super 8 to video tape so many years ago that I can only vaguely remember the method.

I was able (then) to borrow a Sony gizmo which was expensive in those days.
The projector projected into one end of the device which had leads for analogue signal to be connected to a VCR.

Then and until quite recently various local firms offered this service at a reasonable price.

DVD is another step, now requiring conversion to a digital signal. It must be possible but it wont be cheap.

The problem typically is a result of changes from a very durable but fiddly format to a convenience which carries the penalty of a short and indeterminate life.
Hang on to your projector for as long as you have any of the precious 8mm film

Fingees 15:00 22 Oct 09

If you have it done onto DVD at a shop, it costs approx £10 per 400 ft.

Thats why I did it myself.as I had about 10 x 400ft reels.

Condom 15:29 22 Oct 09

Jessops used to sell a little gismo for a few pounds which would have done the trick. I think it was originally brought out so people could video their photographs but it had the facility to project into the device so you could then video from the back plate.

I did mine this way but unfortunately it went at a car boot sale a couple of years ago for £1 or I would have gladly sent it to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…