digital video problem

richierich 21:49 23 Nov 04

downloaded from a dv camera onto a pc with a slave hardrive 120 gb only used about 30 gb.
Transfered the harddrive to my other machine for editing as it is faster / more RAM. But the video plays back in a very jerky slow motion kind of way.
The first PC running win 2000 pro NTFS file system, 1700athlon

the second PC running XPpro NTFS file system, 2800 athlon so it should be better, any ideas please,

Night Ryder 22:06 23 Nov 04

One thing that comes to mind is the way you have connected the drive to the computer. If the drive is sharing the IDE interface with a CD or DVD drive, this will slow it down. For best performance the drive should be the only thing attached if possible.

Night Ryder 22:09 23 Nov 04

If the IDE inerface can use an 80 wire 40 way IDE cable, the speed will also be effected (reduced)if you are using a standard 40 way cable.

The BB 22:27 23 Nov 04

Have a look at the program settings you are using.

Things such as Pinnacle Studio can output in everything from DVD down to almost GIF like quality for web broadcast.

From being jerky, I assume it is in an editting program and not yet cut to disk, and that the original dv was not long play etc.

richierich 22:32 23 Nov 04

At the moment its just raw dv footage, about 30 gb, it doesnt even play properly in windows media player.
Could it be that it was downloaded on win 2000 and wont play back properly in xp even though they are both set up NTFS, or am i barking up the wrong tree.

As far as the ide connections, they are the same configuration in both machines.

The BB 22:42 23 Nov 04

The w2k/xp shouldn't matter.
If you are viewing in Windows Media Player then I suspect you have downgraded it from the raw dv footage. What did you use to download from your camera?

TomJerry 22:50 23 Nov 04

footage cannot be downloaded. They are actually captured in DV format. digital video on your DV tape is not understandable by computer. So you actually capture footage instead of download.

Because your old PC is not fast enough or hard drive is not fast enough or you have been doing something with PC when you capture (not download) video, some frames have been lost, so you got jerky playback.

Why do not you capture video in faster PC and also stop any uncessary program such as anti-virus, BB, firewall etc when you do capture.

richierich 08:39 24 Nov 04

You misunderstand. The footage is fine in that there is no jerkiness or frame dropping when played back in the older/slower pc, only when I put the hardrive in the newer faster pc. the ide cable config is the same.

richierich 09:28 24 Nov 04

another strange thing. I run Diskeeper lite and analysed it as one long 'fragmented' file. I have set it to de-fragment, been running for about 30 minutes but hasnt progressed much.

scotty 09:43 24 Nov 04

Check that DMA is enabled on the drive in the computer with the problem.

richierich 09:47 24 Nov 04

how do I do this please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…