Digital Video Editing Via S-Video Cable

bryrach 18:46 11 May 03

Hi. I own a Samsung Mini-dv VP-D55 camcorder and have some footage I would like to edit. I own a S-Video cable that came with it and would like to know if it was possible to transfer via this and if so how to do so.

I would be very grateful for any help at all.

krall 19:32 11 May 03

bryrach.
Its not possible to edit digital video via the 'S, cable. DV cameras have input/output i-link (IEEE1394)Firewire connectors for editing purposes.
Assuming your camera and computer has this facility and you are running Windows XP the operation is fairly straightforward, as WindowsXP has Movie Maker software builtin. In the absence of XP you will need editing software like Pinnacle or ULead which are now available with firewire cards which can be installed in a PCI slot in the PC.
It would help if you could provide full details of your PC specification and operating system.

bryrach 20:32 11 May 03

Hi, thanks for informing me about the s-video cable. My computer runs Windows XP and does have windows movie maker on it. It has an Intel Celeron 1GHZ processor, 258mb ram, 20GB capacity and a DVD player. I would also be grateful if you knew anywhere I could buy a 'Firewire Connector' for a reasonable price.

Thanks
P.S. I live in Edinburgh so I won't of heard of independent shops near you Unless you live in Edinburgh.

Joe McG 20:55 11 May 03

bryrach,
you'll get one here.click here

krall 21:20 11 May 03

bryrach.
you should get this at any PCWORLD outlet for approx £40 or less. They have come down in price since I bought mine, a PYRO many months ago. Your PC spec should be ok for video editing, except possibly for your 20GB hard drive.DV editing can take up large chunks of available space. Mail order is one way of obtaining the card. You could try click here (phone 0870 727 2100) or click here but I'll be surprised if PC WORLD have no branch near you.

Altair 21:29 11 May 03

Just note that 4mins of video uses 1GB of hard disk space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…