Digital Video Editing

Scrivers 21:04 14 Apr 03

Anyone help with my digital video editing problem. The problem is when I try to export my edited masterpiece back onto the camcorder for subsequently copying to the VCR. I'm using VideoWave V5, and either a JVC or Canon camcorder both with DVin. I get a constantly interupted signal. I've tried loads of stuff, a new lead, re-installing the programme, switching off all my start programmes, checking my Bios for the PCI package rate, returning my computer using Norton Ghost to a previous condition. I'm desperate. Can anyone help.

siouxah1 22:13 14 Apr 03

Can't really say much to help you but this will put you back up to the top again.

Have you had success in the past carrying out this task? Since you have succeeded in editing your video I assume your PC is capable. Have not used Videowave since trying VW III, had so many problems that I gave up on it and went to Ulead.

There are some knowledgeable people here with regards to video editing. Hope they look in and see your thread.

Regards Brian

Zaxifone 00:24 15 Apr 03

What do you mean by 'constantly interupted signal'? You mean glitches? Skipping? Radio 1? lol...kidding. If it is skipping, the drive could need defragged. You should defrag before importing and then again before exporting.

Hope this helps...

Z.

MichelleC 08:13 15 Apr 03

...or do what I did with VideoWave after wasting weeks trying to get my avi's back into my dv cam - I used the disc as a frisbie and went over to Video Factory. It's a rock solid prog with NO audio-sync probs either.

stlucia 08:48 15 Apr 03

I had a similar problem with Pinnacle recording back to my Panasonic camera -- many gaps in the recording, usually where I'd made transitions, and intermittent sound. Never did resolve it -- bought a DVD recorder and recorded the finished product to DVD instead!

But the purpose of this post is to say that the most likely explaination for the problem seemed to be that my PC was marginal for the task -- Athlon 600Mhz with a basic video card.

scotty 12:17 15 Apr 03

If you can capture video from the camera to the pc but are unable to transfer video from the pc to the camera, it is almost certain that it is a computer performance issue. The performance of your pc can probably be improved by applying a few minor changes. The first checks to perform are:

a) is DMA enabled for the hard drive?

b) stop all other programmes from running (anti-virus, firewall etc.) while transfering video

c) defrag the disc used for storing video

If you still experience problems then visit click here and apply the tweaks suggested. Of these tips, I would try these first:

1) disabling write-behind caching

2) set virtual memory

3) adjust vcache settings

4) add conservativeswapfileusage=1 to system.ini

5)set DMABufferSize=64 and PageBuffers=32

These are comparatively safe changes and should not affect the other uses of the pc.

having started out with Pinnacle and now moved to Adobe Premiere I have dealt with quite a few glitches in video editing. You don't give full details of your system. There is a natural tendency for the hard disk to stutter on playback and cause drop outs because it is affected by other programmes running in the background. The ideal video editing set up is to have two hard drives, one for your everyday progremmes, including the video editing software, the other purely for video images. This hard drive should run at 7200 minimum. Scusi is even better although very much more expensive. You do not need a super fast chip for video editing 1ghz is more thgan enough. However editing video, especially transitions is very RAM hungry. 512mb is an absolute minimum. If you run XP and your motherboard can take it you ought to be running 1mb of RAM. Sice rebuilding my PC to these specifications I have not experienced any drop out on transfer back to DVC. Once DVD burners get a bit cheaper there will be no need to transfer back onto the camera.

Opps that last should have read "you ought to be running 1gb of RAM" Must get a new keyboard

Scrivers 19:49 15 Apr 03

I've managed to get things working by switching from VideoWave5 to Pinnacle7. A free copy came with the new camcorder. I'm finding Pinnacle temperamental though. If you do something it doesn't like, it crashes. Hey Hellfire, maybe I should try Adobe Premiere - sounds expensive though.

Scrivers 19:51 15 Apr 03

I've managed to get things working by switching from VideoWave5 to Pinnacle7. A free copy came with the new camcorder. I'm finding Pinnacle temperamental though. If you do something it doesn't like, it crashes. Hey Hellfire, maybe I should try Adobe Premiere - sounds expensive though.

Rtus 21:14 15 Apr 03

Look to how many background tasks are running Limiting this with Msconfig (if using W98) can help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…