Digital Video Camera USB or Firewire

Sparky 77777 12:52 04 May 04

I am considering buying a Digital Video Camera and would like to download the moview onto my PC. I am currently running XP, have USB but no firewire. I understand that most cameras need firewire but some will work with USB.

Does anyody have any ideas / opinions?

MichelleC 14:31 04 May 04

The dvcams which work with usb film in mpeg. The ones which are dv (avi) only work well with firewire. Mpeg is compressed and the quality isn't as good as avi, but good enough for burning.

Totally-braindead 14:36 04 May 04

You need either USB 2 or firewire USB just isn't fast enough. Dabs do a firewire card for about £10 link is below
click here

Sparky 77777 16:13 04 May 04

Thanks.

Is there any way I can check whether I have got USB or USB2?

byfordr 16:28 04 May 04

click here firewire cards. Including a firewire and usb2 combined card for £15. All you need is a spare pci slot.

USB2 click here

R

Daz35 16:53 04 May 04

I use both firewire and USB2 for the transfer of various media. Although USB2 is faster according to the specs, I have always found firewire to be faster at transferring music and video. As earlier mentioned USB1 is far to slow for mini DV as I recently found out when transferring some footage for a friend of mine who didn't have firewire or USB2. 15Gb of music to an external drive from a laptop took about 25 minutes via a firewire, with the same process taking 50 minutes via USB2. Firewire doesn't seem to bottleneck so much, therefore making it faster. To find out if you've got USB2, right click on my computer, properties, hardware, device manager and scroll down the list until you find universal serial bus controllers and click on the +. That should tell you what you have. A lot of mini DV's come with a firewire output as standard, but I'm not sure about USB2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…