Digital tv tuner for PC PART 2!

Cybermaxx 16:21 17 Mar 06

What about this:-

I buy the digital tv tuner from ALDI, install it, and buy one of these to work with it?

click here

A Freeview (non-amplified) aerial, which I connect to the tv tuner and stand on top of my CRT monitor. Would that work, or can you see any snags with it? Is all this gear compatible? I'm about two miles away from the transmitter, btw. Pontop Pike, I think it's called.

woodchip 16:28 17 Mar 06

That's a bit like the one I got with the USB box in your other thread only the magnet at the bottom on mine is cranked to fit on side of computer rather than top

Cybermaxx 16:38 17 Mar 06

Is the one you bought amplified or like the one I linked to, woodchip? Would it be safe to use an amplified aerial near a PC (and near me!)?

woodchip 16:44 17 Mar 06

Like the one you have. You do not need a Amp if you are in good area. Plus if it's a Bad signel Amp will not make it good

Pineman100 16:45 17 Mar 06

The Argos antenna says it's for areas with a strong signal. If you're two miles from the transmitter you should theoretically get a good signal, but this also depends on variables like your altitude relative to the transmitter, hills or buildings in between... etc.
I reckon the only way to find out is to buy one and try it. Argos have some kind of no-quibble returns policy don't they? If it's no good you can take it back.

Cybermaxx 16:46 17 Mar 06

We get Freeview on the main IDTV downstairs wothout any problems, so maybe this will work. I'll go for it! If ALDI aren't sold out, that is.

Cybermaxx 16:49 17 Mar 06

Actually, for the same price, I could get this one......

click here

sunny staines 17:00 17 Mar 06

dont forget to let us know how you got on.

Cybermaxx 17:06 17 Mar 06

I haven't even decided what to do yet! If anything, that is. I'm dithering about, as per usual. Trying to make certain that this will work before I hand over any loot...... Failure is not an option!

Ray5776 17:46 17 Mar 06

I have dealt with ALDI, I returned a TV that had developed a fault after appx 10mths. I was expecting the usual excuses and aggro, they did not even open the box and look at it or even ask what was wrong.
The only thing they asked was whether I had the receipt, when I produced it I was told to take it to the checkout and they will refund my money which they did in cash.
No hassle, no arguments I was very impressed.
My point is you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Ray

woodchip 18:19 17 Mar 06

Go for the first link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…