Digital tv cards and jumping pictures

Why-Did-I-Fiddle? 22:24 29 Jul 03

Have recently fitted a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-t card to my PC and can get a picture etc.

Only problem is that the picture and sound run, then freezes, then runs again.

Any advice?

What do I need to do?

Win XP, 2.6AMD, 1GB RAM.

graham√ 22:29 29 Jul 03

Seriously, get your money back and buy a TV.

John-259217 22:57 29 Jul 03

I`m afraid I`d have to agree with graham√.

I have the same card as you, its currently gathering dust on top of the wardrobe along with an older non-digital one, until I can be bothered to play with it in a third system!

In my Athlon 2000xp system (512Kb ram and WinXP) It behaved just as you describe, I tried a fresh XP install with and without SP1a, lots of different graphics drivers and three diffrent graphics cards with no improvement.

On my 2.4 PIV (512Kb ram and WinXP again) I did initially get it working but at the expense of DVD playback and a fair amount of instability, attempts to improve on this in the same way as above eventually resulted in a total refusal to install at all.

If I feel motivated enough I may try it on an old PIII running 98se, but I don`t hold out much hope.

If anyone does have the answer I`d be interested to hear it.

Why-Did-I-Fiddle? 22:17 31 Jul 03

1 Got a better ariel
2 Downloaded newer version of software and hardware settings from click here
3 Downloaded new driver for motherboard
4 Reset BIOs settings

Main point of help actually came from the support feature from the supplier, but a bit long winded.

John-259217 03:25 01 Aug 03

I wish mine was!!!!!!!!!

Its now 3.00am so I`m giving up for the night.

Just for reference I`m using an MSI KT4 Ultra mobo with a 2000xp Athlon, latest MSI BIOS update (deep breath there!), 512Kb Ram, fresh install of XP Home SP1a to a wiped hard drive, lastest Via 4 in 1 mobo drivers and an Nvidia MX440 graphics card (tried several drivers).

As you did, I downloaded all the latest Hauppauge drivers and software (which I have to admit did install slightly better than the previous ones) then followed the advice on the site re BIOS settings, IRQ`s, display settings etc.

I know the performance of the aerial is ok as I have a Pace DTV set top adapter which works fine and shows high strength signal with no loss.

Result? - No change, exactly the same jerky playback as the last time I tried it!

As I absolutely hate to let anything like this beat me I`ll try again later with my PIV system.
I`m not to hopefull since its an SIS chipset, which along with the VIA one on the Ultra, is noted as difficult by Hauppauge on the site.

I`ll start a new thread to let anyone who`s interested (graham√ :-)) know how I get on.

Why-Did-I-Fiddle? 11:16 01 Aug 03

I also changed the cache size for the graphics card, it is aN ATI Radeon 9500/9700.

And then set all other settings to the default- it had previosly been overclocked.

Same mobo as m73john

Changed the BIOS latency to 2.5 also.

Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…