Digital to SLR equivalent

mrwoowoo 16:17 PM 25 May 12

What would be the equivalent SLR 35mm zoom compared to a 36 x zoom lens on a digital camera. This one for example. Olympus SP-810

I used to have an SLR with a 300mm lens. So in my minds eye i can compare the two.

Nontek 17:04 PM 25 May 12

How long is a piece of string?

Then scroll down to 'Understanding Zoom Measurement.

Hope this helps.

hssutton 18:09 PM 25 May 12

unfortunately there is no such thing as a 36 times zoom for a DSLR.

Off the top of my head I would say the nearest would be the Sigma 50-500mm. A super lens, but weighs a ton and require a lot of practice to become proficient. Normally a zoom lens for a DSLR would be around 4 times.

Most, but not all DSLRs have a 1.6- 1.5 multification factor. As an example if you are used to using a 300mm on a 35mm camera you would require a 200mm lens. However in practice you would probably use a 300mm or a 70-300mm zoom.

mrwoowoo 16:22 PM 26 May 12

Thank you for your replies. I certainly have a better understanding of it now. That was a useful link Nontek. Couldn't find anything helpful myself on Google. Must have been using the wrong phrases.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…