Digital projection v slides

plainbob 23:49 02 Feb 04

I have become involved, as an amateur, in giving the occasional talk and slide show of our travels. The thought of doing this digitally is appealing but the cost seems prohibitive at present. A way of cutting costs would be to invest in a film/slide scanner but I do not know enough about this.

Please, can some one tell me what size of digital image and hence level of scanner do I need to achieve the same results a slide projection? Would scanning time be prohibitive? Is this a sensible route to go or am I missing the point?

Hyperangelic 09:00 03 Feb 04

bump

Stuartli 09:03 03 Feb 04

I very much doubt whether a digital projector can approach anywhere near the resolution, brightness and image quality of a film transparency displayed using a slide projector.

A top class slide projector is also far cheaper than its digital equivalent.

I use my Rollei automatic slide projector acquired in the early 1970s and it still performs perfectly.

It was the top model of a choice of three specifications that went on sale at Dixons, the organisation having acquired a batch that it offered for sale at ridiculously low prices for such quality products.

stlucia 09:08 03 Feb 04

The most expensive bit of the route you're thinking about is probably the digital projector. But, even with a top class one, I don't think you're going to achieve the same quality results as projecting a slide directly.

I scan my slides using a film and slide adapter on my Epson flatbed scanner. I generally use 1200 dpi, which is ample for dispaying them on a TV screen or for printing them as photos, but the menu says it can go up to 9600 dpi which, I would suggest, is not much different from the grain size in the original slides (maybe someone can give more info on that). Scanning time is about a minute a slide. If you're going into it big time I would suggest a dedicated slide scanner -- you can get them from about £150 upwards I believe, but Minolta dImage III at about £350 gets several mentions in this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…