digital piano, off topic, but any advice?

TomJerry 23:00 06 Sep 04

This is really not a computer-related topic, but it is a technology-related topic. Anyway, I ask the question here hope to get some advices.

My kid is going to take up piano lesson, I need to get a piano. I am thinking of getting a digital piano because traditional ones are very expensive new and I do not know how to find a good
2nd hand.

I would like to know how good is a mid-range digital piano (around £1000) comparing with a trditional one in terms of feel and sound.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Eileanbeag 23:13 06 Sep 04

My son is a Jazz musician and I don't believe that he would have got through his degree at Leeds College of Music without a traditional piano - it has a different touch, expression and touch are different and for some reason ear training i.e., pitch, is more achievable from dtrad. He now has a digital piano and keyboard for gigs but he tells me that the trad. piano is the way to go if pos.

Robin0759 23:14 06 Sep 04

be careful about spending too much money too early.
to start piano lessons, you only need a small keyboard which is "touch sensitive" such as a Yamaha PSR 275 (£130 ish)
If your offspring take to it, then when they get past grade 2, that is the time to go for a full digital piano.
Any model from Yamaha, Roland,or Korg are good. Don't pay the asking price, they will always give a little discount if pushed, no matter which music shop you go to, so shop around.

By the way, I'm a music teacher by trade!!

Dan the Confused 23:21 06 Sep 04

I don't think you can beat a real piano for feel and sound but digital pianos are excellent alternatives (some prefer them). If you look in yellow pages or your local paper it should be easy to find a decent second-hand piano. I also had a quick google and found click here

Robin0759 23:26 06 Sep 04

1. you can set them up anywhere there is power
2. Don't have to worry about it's environment( too humid, too dry etc)
3. They are always in perfect concert pitch (A 440Hz)
4. Never go out of tune (don't need tuning at least once a year for accoustic)
5. Have MIDI ports so that they can be used for composing on sequencing software such as CUBASE, making them the ideal "mother keyboard"
6. The latest technology for the touch And feel of the keys is now very good

TomJerry 23:27 06 Sep 04

cannot believe got advice so quick.

TomJerry 23:31 06 Sep 04

thanks

Dan the Confused 00:27 07 Sep 04

Have you looked at my link? This one's £900 click here or do you want to buy new? I'm no expert so can't advise on if it's a good deal or not.

Dan the Confused 00:39 07 Sep 04

Or click here maybe (before anyone complains, this is my last suggestion :P)

TomJerry 01:14 07 Sep 04

great link and suggestion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…