Digital Photos

karad 22:51 18 Jul 03

Hi, can someone tell me and sorry if it's a stupid question, but I print my photos out at 10"x8" and save them to my computer at this. Should I save them at a smaller size, will this take up less space? or doesn't it matter?

DieSse 22:59 18 Jul 03

The physical size of the printing is unimportant - it's only the size of the stored file that affects disk space.

Unless you're very short of disk space (are you?) - I wouldn't do anything to them.

woodchip 23:46 18 Jul 03

If you keep them at the size that the camera took them they should not take much room up mine are about 135kb to 150kb and will print out OK at A4

The Sack 01:54 19 Jul 03

for me a 200DPI 1600X1200 photo that prints at 10X8 (just) takes up about 1MB

Andsome 08:22 19 Jul 03

I save all mine to the hard drive as it has plenty of capacity. I do however save them to a CD as a back up. If your computer fails you could loose the lot.

karad 08:41 19 Jul 03

Thanks everyone, I do store them on discs, its just I wondered if because I was leaving them at 10"x8" when I finished printing them if this was too big to have them stored on the computer and wether I should reduce the size of them and then just make them bigger again when I wanted to print.

karad 08:43 19 Jul 03

Diesse--- do you mean it makes no difference as to the size you make them to print , the computer will store them at whay the camera took them at? sorry if I'm being dense

DieSse 09:01 19 Jul 03

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Pesala 12:55 19 Jul 03

10" x 8" at 300 dpi = 3000 x 2400 pixels

5" x 4" at 600 dpi = 3000 x 2400 pixels

The file sizes will be identical. The resolution will depend on the quality of your camera: 1500 x 1200 pixels is pretty good and will be 150 dpi at 10" x 8" so Sack's picture must be distorted if it is exactly 10" x 8" or it must be 8" x 6" if at 200 dpi.

If you reduce the resolution of the picture to reduce the file size, you will lose detail, so don't do it. Just buy some more CD-R or CD-RW disks. For home users it is fine, but professionals recommend not to save in JPG format, which you would need to do to make 1600 x 1200 files as small as 1 Mbyte. JPG compression is very effecient for photos, but some quality will be lost.

A 9.5" x 7" book cover scanned at 100 dpi is nearly 2 Mbytes as a TIFF file, but the same file as a JPG is just 36 Kbytes! Much easier for sending by email.

Please see this thread for more dicussion: click here

€dstow is a professional. I use graphics on the web or send them by email, so size is more important than quality for me.

Pesala 13:11 19 Jul 03

Not too much at all for most photos, at least not that most people would notice. The following bits were cropped from my book cover. Here you can see that the decline in quality is very significant, because text has sharp outlines. Even then, you won't notice much difference at normal sizes. However, if you zoom in and take a close look, the difference is very obvious. If your pictures are just faces and trees, there is not too much to lose by using JPG, but if you take pictures of man-made objects and buildings, or anything with sharp outlines, be aware of the dangers of JPG compression.

Tiff Image (14,808 bytes) click here

JPG Image (1,343 bytes) click here

karad 21:00 19 Jul 03

DieSse-- cheers you answered my question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…