Digital Photography

Mozarella 19:25 29 Oct 04

WHYBE, on another thread I saw your message about wanting a higher rated HDD. Can you explain please, I`ve recently started Digi Phot and I`ve wondered if my system was up to it. Thanks in advance

THE TERMINATOR 20:33 29 Oct 04

What are the specs of your machine?

Tycho 20:49 29 Oct 04

I do a reasonable amount of photography using a 4 MPixel camera. I have a 9.6GB HD which s considered rather small these days. What I do is to keep my photos on HD only until they are sorted out and but in sensible folders. then they get added to the latest multisession CD. This way I keep them in order and don't get clogged up CD.

At some time you are going to need to lift them off the current CD if only to change your computer. And what about backups? Apart from people photos are jut about the most irreplaceble items that we possess. My wife has the photo albums on a shelf by the back door: in case of fire: children first, dog next and then photos.

Mozarella 21:13 29 Oct 04

TECHNO. Specs are AMD Athlon 800 MHz processor,
384 MB RAM, 40 Gb HDD.

Mozarella 21:24 29 Oct 04

Tycho, sorry about name.

chiquita 21:30 29 Oct 04

Tycho mentions the importance of backing upyour favourite photos which in many cases is the record of children growing up, family holidays and wonderful memories.
If i was a young person I would feel inclined to shoot the odd 35mm and get some prints in case these digital pictures are not as permanent as we are led to believe. There have already been reports of prints saved to disc, deteriorating and degrading, something which doesn't happen with a properly developed print as has been prooved since about 1850.
Regarding nostalgia and looking back, my 51 year old son cringes when he sees himself as an 18 year old!! Chiquita

Mozarella 21:34 29 Oct 04

Tycho, I`m absent tonight, must be the wine at dinner. Forgot to add my OS is Win XP Pro SP2.
Nearly time for me to be tucked in!!!

Mozarella 21:38 29 Oct 04

My 7 year old has read all on this post and it appears I`m completely doolally. Sorry to Tycho but my answers should have been addressed to THE TERMINATOR. That`s the end of me!!!

Cook2 21:47 29 Oct 04

I with chiquita on this as I lost a lot of photos I had on a CD. I tried various file recovery programmes which all failed.

I now have back-ups on a 2nd HD but still print the really important ones and laminate them, several to a sheet of A4. Evidently they should never fade.

Cook2 21:47 29 Oct 04

I with chiquita on this as I lost a lot of photos I had on a CD. I tried various file recovery programmes which all failed.

I now have back-ups on a 2nd HD but still print the really important ones and laminate them, several to a sheet of A4. Evidently they should never fade.

Mozarella 21:48 29 Oct 04

Chiquita my dear, you sound like a loving and caring person. If I saw a picture of myself at the age of 18 I`d look for a weapon to shoot whoever published it. Saving your pictures isn`t as bad as you think. When you have your next film developed have a CD copy made. Not TOO expensive. I don`t know what the cost of having all albums converted would be, and I do not think they degenerate on CD. Hasta la vista Chiquita

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…