Digital photo resizing

Porcy 13:52 09 Dec 03

Hi there.Wonder if someone could help me.No matter how I manipulate my pics, when I try to email them, the recipient will have it open to the entire pc screen size or more. How do I get it to email and it stays a smallish size that is more viewable

Diodorus Siculus 14:13 09 Dec 03

Try IrfanView's option to resize a picture - that generally works well. You can set size in pixels, cm or inches.

Bagsey 14:15 09 Dec 03

What OS are you using?

PA28 14:15 09 Dec 03

I'm not too sure what you're trying to do here. If it's to reduce file size for emailing then most editing programs have the option to either resize the original down, or to save it to another file of smaller size suitable for emailing. At worst, select "save as" and rename your file, saving with maximum compression. Always be careful not to reduce the size (or increase the compression) of your original file, if it's important to you. Some editing suites offer you the option of saving to email size.

If, on the other hand, you're looking to reduce the file size so that it can be more easily transmitted, whilst maintaining the original quality so that it can be opened full screen by the recipient, then you're out of luck. You'll have to compromise somewhere in the middle of file size/quality.

Porcy 14:37 09 Dec 03

I am using XP pro and Irfanview will not work. What I am trying to do is pretty simple. Send a photo that comes out at the recipient at say a postcard size. I click on save as and reduce the quality to about 30% but it doesnt change the size of the pic from a 17"tft display to a postcard size. Thats the problem

Diodorus Siculus 14:46 09 Dec 03

Why will Irfanview not work? I can make it resize a picture anything from a square cm to about 30 x 30 (maybe more - that is all I have tried).

What seems to be the problem? Is it with the recipient rather than with you?

Bagsey 15:27 09 Dec 03

If your using XP then right click on the image you want to send then go to send to mail recipient this will open the option to keep the original size or reduce it. Click on reduce and your email will be set up for you to complete.

hssutton 16:15 09 Dec 03

A simple little program that will do resizing + basic editing with just a few mouse clicks. click here

Severn Bore 20:08 09 Dec 03

Hi
If you just want the recipient to view your postcard size picture on their monitor you have to be aware of "resolution".
If you resize a picture to,say, 6 X 4 inches, but leave it at anything over 72dpi, it will look bigger than 6 X 4 on the recipient's screen. Monitors will only show pictures at up to about 72dpi, so if, your photo is resized to 6 X 4, but left at, say, 300dpi, your picture will in effect appear as 300/72 - in other words, about 4 times the original size , or 24 X 16 inches.
I suspect this is your problem and most image editors, other than the most basic, will enable you to change the dimensions of your photos and the number of dpi.
A complex issue, but I hope this helps.

porci 07:16 10 Dec 03

Hi all
Diodorus Siculus - it wont work cos its at the recipients side
Bagsey - That option doesnt work, tried and tested
hssutton - thanks for this will try it out
Severn Bore - That is the explanation I was looking for not being a "resolution" fundi! Will try it out
Thanks for all the help

porci 07:35 10 Dec 03

hssutton - nice app, but there is nothing there about resolution

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…