Digital photo printing without a PC

Trikie 16:12 29 Mar 05

The Epson R300 printer will print direct from digital camers cards. My non technical wife would like to be able to do this herself but also to have the means of printing earlier pictures after they have been cleared from the card.

I can save them to my PC - is there any way to pass them back to her so she can print them without the PC. I know the printer will not take a CD, but will it take some form of external storage media? Alternatively is it possible to transfer pictures from a PC to a memory stick (perhaps via the camera - a Sony P-200)?

TomJerry 16:21 29 Mar 05

then you can put the picture file back into memory stick, but I am not sure if the camera can read it or not, if you put the pictures (taken by the same camera back to the directory where the camera keep the picture, it could work

just try it out yourself and you will find out

Ebuyer External 7 in 1 USB 2.0 Card Reader £4.44 click here

Stuartli 16:34 29 Mar 05

Dragging and dropping the earlier pix files using a 7, 8, 12, 16 or 19-1 card reader/writer that will accommodate a Sony Memory Stick should work without problems.

Find out which "drive letter" the card reader/writer uses for the Memory Stick and then drag and drop the copied pic file or files you wish to transfer from My Pictures to the "drive letter".

However you should always delete these files and reformat the card afterwards in the camera and not whilst connected to your computer system.

jack 17:58 29 Mar 05

A word of caution with regard to putting images from a computer backonto a memory card.
It depends on the operating system.
If it is Win98/ME its a no no
2000 Perhaps
XP mostly ok

The images created in a digital camera are not strictly plain vanilla JPEG it is a variant called
XIF. This contains the camera data[ date/ time/F stop speed]
The earlier operating systems do no know about XIF and strip the data off- .
When reloaded, devices expecting an XIF image will
not read.
Will this be the case with the R300?
Also of course the printer will only print the images as is- no room for ajustment[crop/colour etc.]
Lastly do not format cards in computer
cameras dont like that either.

hssutton 19:36 29 Mar 05

Sorry Jack but this is not quite correct, I have on a few occassions transfered images from a Win 98se PC to card via a reader and then to printer and also onto my XP pro m/c, but it is very doubtful that your camera would then be able to read it. Not sure about the printer in question but newer printers allow cropping resizing & basic colour correction, even red eye reduction.

As for reformatting flashcards via the PC, I have been doing this for the past few years. Part of my workflow is to transfer images (usually Raw) to a folder on my desktop,save to DVD, then reformat. However you do need to know what fat system your camera uses, unless it's such as the Canon DSLRs which can accept either fat or fat 32.

Trikie 01:30 30 Mar 05

Thanks everyone. I'm using XP so we are in with a chance. If it comes to the worst I wil have to do any late prints via the PC and destroy my wife's independence!

Stuartli 09:02 30 Mar 05

I use XP, I use the method I described above on a regular basis to transport files on my camera's Secure Digital card for use on other systems.

However, it is important to reformat the card in the camera afterwards and this is also emphasised in my camera's manual.

As the camera, a Minolta, is a couple of years old now, it may well be that recent models are more flexible regarding formatting, but better safe than sorry and avoid any possible risk of losing newly shot pictures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…