Digital Photo Action Shots

accosnr 16:50 15 Jun 03

I find that with my digital camera (Nikon 4300), I am unable to get the shot I framed and took as the subject has moved on. This is with simple movement e.g. a seated child eating something, rather than fast action where panning would be used. I find this frustrating and is perhaps a downside of digital phography as it does not occur with my 35mm camera. Or am I missing something as I am not yet used to digital photography or my cameras features?
Brian

siouxah1 18:05 15 Jun 03

No I do not think you are missing anything. I still have and occasionally use a fuji MX500. Now very old in terms of digital cameras. The time lag between pressing the shutter release and the shutter opening was such that there was time to make a cup of tea.

I found this off-putting, after my use of SLRs, until I became used to it and recognised the shortcomings.

Some time ago I was upgraded to a Minolta Dimage5.

This was chosen as it was quoted in the specifications that the time lag for the shutter release was one tenth of a second. Not ideal but much better.

I would have thought that Nikon would have addressed this problem.

It is an often missed spec that to me is important. Difficult to get info from camera sites.

What is the time lag on your Nikon quoted as?

I think you will begin to anticipate movement if you use the camera enough.

Regards Brian j

hssutton 18:28 15 Jun 03

As siouxah1 says there is a shutter lag with digital camera's, but nothing than can't be overcome with with a little practise. I have just been chasing bees around my garden with my digicam. the little blighters just would not stay put, they just kept flitting from one flower to the next kept.click here

accosnr 18:58 15 Jun 03

Thanks for your responses.
Nikon don't quote a time lag in the spec - may be there is a reason for this!
It seems this is something I will get used to with a bit of practice and perhaps the 'continuous' shooting mode and a bit of anticipation will get more of what I am hoping for(although this seems a bit of a cheat).
I don't want to knock digital as it is very convenient and the camera does provide me with excellent results for A4 prints.
P.S. hssutton - I like the pictures - I've clearly got some way to go yet.
Thanks again to both.
Brian A.

Stuartli 19:06 15 Jun 03

There is quite a delay compared with film cameras, even SLRs which have instant return mirrors, using a digital camera.

It's not as long as imagined but can still be enough to miss, say, a particular facial expression seen in the viewfinder.

Another type of delay is that using flash red eye reduction, which sets off one of two minor flashes before the main flash (and picture taking) occur.

But in time you get used to it and it can work in reverse in that you get an even better shot than first visualised.

However, manufacturers have recognised the problem and many new cameras feature the fact that the delay is the minimum possible.

siouxah1 19:39 15 Jun 03

for hssutton

must concur with accosnr. Very much like the bee on flower. It would appear there is no hope for me!!!

Brian j

y_not 19:41 15 Jun 03

Today I visited the local village carnival. During this afternoon they had a Spitfire fly over and - you guessed it - I got a brilliant picture of the clear blue sky!

Fortunately they had arranged for him to overfly the arena three times and, by the third time, I had perfected it.

Dead center, two thirds of the frame filled with the underbelly of the Spitfire....excellent!

Digital photography is about practice (and its cheaper than 35mm) and, when it all just works, thats when I get the buzz.

Keep learning to anticipate and enjoy snapping!

hssutton 20:26 15 Jun 03

siouxah1 I have the next one up from the five, will be taking it to Waddington airshow at the end of the month. Maybe then I will be eating my words. One other point I never use red eye reduction, red eye can always be removed quite easily during post processing.

siouxah1 20:59 15 Jun 03

I await posting from accosnr saying that he has attained a suitable level of expertise

and from hssutton that his D7 has made the grade...manual or autofocus???

I will be attempting model aircraft flying show at the end of the month.

Brian j

woodchip 21:05 15 Jun 03

It's the slow capture of the digi sensor that's the prob. You do not get that with film. keep talking about shutters on digi and they do not work on that principle. They are completely different to a standard camera

BrianW 21:16 15 Jun 03

Woodchip, you are right. However, many of the more recent cameras allow sequence shooting. For example I can take multiple shots at 1.6 fps (minimum 6 shots at largest image / highest quality to about 30 shots at more modest size image). OK, when that is over the camera has to digest the results for about 20 secs but it ain't bad. More expensive digicams are even better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…