digital camera and shaving adaptor

originalmiscellany 20:59 27 Apr 06

Quick question:
My dad has a new digital camera from France which has a 2 pronged continental adaptor.

He has a "shaving" adaptor wihch would convert 2 prongs to 3, and UK power...

He also has ordered a proper convertor which will work fine.

Now can he use the shaving adaptor (which says only use for electric shavers and electric toothbrushes) as a short term measure to charge his new camera up?

Thanks

Eric half-a-bee 21:05 27 Apr 06

French voltage is 230 at 50 Hz - UK supply 240 at 50 Hz, so I'd guess the answer is no - if it was the other way around he could probably try without causing any harm, but as UK supply is stronger it's not worth the risk.

skidzy 21:09 27 Apr 06

Does your dad have a pc ? if so,some cameras will charge via a usb lead..directly from the pc to the camera.
This way takes a little longer,but like i say some do work.

originalmiscellany 21:11 27 Apr 06

and he'll investigate the usb charging idea.

Thanks skidzy for your thoughts.

Lettervanman 21:37 27 Apr 06

That was the case!
Supply regs.now are UK 230v +10% -6%
Europe 230v +6% -10%

EEC wins again!!

greenlamp 21:39 27 Apr 06

I suspect that he will have no problem if he uses the current power supply with a plug adaptor, while UK nominal voltage may be 240v and French 230v in practical terms,owing to voltage fluctuations, they aren't different enough to cause any problems. In fact over the years I have used French made Laboratory [electrical] equipment on UK mains.

originalmiscellany 21:41 27 Apr 06

great name - eric is my dad's name too!
It does indeed self-charge through USB2; and my dad's happy and so am I.

THanks Eric half a bee

skidzy 21:52 27 Apr 06

Glad your dad is sorted,thankyou for posting the result...this may help others in the future.

Eric half-a-bee 21:55 27 Apr 06

Oddly enough Eric is also my father's name - my pseudonym is from Monty Python click here - it was that or Ethel the Aardvark.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…