Digital Camera reset

peterleemaxwell 15:19 12 Mar 08

I recently purchased a Samsung L730 Digital Camera for my wife. After only a couple of a dozen snaps the focus did not operate.
I had bought it from 'Laskies' of Hull who didn't want to know and said I should send it at my expense back to Samsung.
This I did and a week later it came back with a statement saying it had been 'reset'. I would like to know, three things, 1/ did we do anything to cause it to malfunction? and 2/. Is this a fairly common thing to happen, will it happen again? 3/Can I reset it at home, has anyone had experience of this? Thanks.

john bunyan 15:41 12 Mar 08

On the face of it the "Goods" were not "Satisfactory" and the shop, not Samsung is your contract partner and should have dealt with it by repair, refund or replacement, unless, of course, you had damaged the "Goods" The shop is quite wrong in asking you to send it back to Samsung, who is not your contract partner. All you can do now is to ask Samsung the questions you have posed here. If it goes wrong again in a "Reasonable" period the shop is responsible to you to put things right. If in doubt get the local Trading Standards involved.

peterleemaxwell 15:59 12 Mar 08

Thanks John. Thanks for the advice. We did not damage the goods. Makes me think twice if I purchase again in the future. 1, Another make than Samsung and 2, Another supplier. Will not shop again at Laskies. You would think in this day and age you would get better.

anchor 16:27 12 Mar 08

john bunyan is correct, your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer. Unfortunately all too often sellers take this attitude. The only consolation you have is that the problem was dealt with more quickly. I would certainly not think of buying from the same vendor again.

Having looked at the manual for your camera, the only reference to "reset" I can see is related to Pictbridge (nothing to do with focus).

Try to get clarification from Samsung what they meant, and what should be done to rectify the problem, should it occur again.

I have personally not come across this before.

peterleemaxwell 17:58 12 Mar 08

anchor thanks for the input. I'll try to get an answer from Samsung. I will 'post' here for their reply.

Stuartli 20:08 12 Mar 08

You should claim back the cost of sending the camera to Samsung from the retailer - it is, as rightly pointed out, responsible for your purchase.

It would also be worth informing Trading Standards of the incident, as well as confirming the retailer's responsibilities following your purchase4.

hssutton 20:25 12 Mar 08

You will usually find the "reset" in menus. This should be your first port of call if the camera is not working correctly.

Using the reset will of course reset all parameters, including any scene modes you may have selected

peterleemaxwell 20:28 12 Mar 08

Stuartli
This is from the web site.
If your goods are faulty and you wish to make a claim under the manufacturer’s guarantee, you must in the first instance contact the manufacturer from the guarantee details provided.
You should always refer to the operating, care and maintenance instructions in relation to each product.
And in the camera box:-
The instruction is for you to return to the manufacturer at your cost.
No replies to e-mails sent to Laskies.
Lesson learnt. Shop elsewhere.

hssutton 20:39 12 Mar 08

You will find "Reset" under "Setup Menu 2"

This is not a cure all by any means, but along with removing the batteries for a few minutes is the first steps to make

Stuartli 20:46 12 Mar 08

I should imagine that "The instruction is for you to return to the manufacturer at your cost" is neither legal nor binding.

The legislation is quite specific. See:

click here

peterleemaxwell 20:14 17 Mar 08

Finally got to post Samsung's answer.
If it goes wrong again they will pay for transit and repair/replace.
They confirmed we had done nothing to the camera in the time we had it for it to go wrong (A few months).
They, Samsung had 'reset the lens unit' I asked if this happened again could I 'reset' at home reply 'No'.
It appears sometimes you get no problems and sometimes you do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…