Digital Camera as Removable Drive?

zaach 12:28 17 Jan 03
  zaach 12:28 17 Jan 03

I have just read an article that states a digital camera can be used as a removable drive without giving any details. Having tried to see how this would work cannot make sense of it. Has anyone any experience of this please?

woodchip 12:35 17 Jan 03

Yes that's how mine work's, instead of a camera icon I get a removable drive icon in Explorer when I connect USB and switch camera on I just the open folder until I see photo's and just drag them to my save folder I can do this in revers by drag and drop Photo's to camera. The removable drive is setup with the software driver you get with the camera

jazzypop 12:35 17 Jan 03

It works just fine if your camera is seen as a 'removable hard drive' when it is connected to your PC.

Connect your camera, set it to transfer mode, then open Windows Explorer. If it appears there, you can drag and drop picture files from the camera to the PC. You can also drag and drop any file you like to the camera (or more specifically, the camera's storage card).

The camera can then be taken to another PC, and the file copied to the other PC. Alternatively, just take the memory card, and insert that into a memory card reader on the second PC.

Easier than floppies, not quite as convenient as a solid-state disk drive, and quicker than writing to CD.

zaach 12:39 17 Jan 03

for the quick response, just going away to try jazzypop's sequence of events, which I hadn't tried. Will report back later today.

Stuartli 12:52 17 Jan 03

My Minolta Dimage E203 also uses the Removeable Drive approach - the camera is doubling up as a card reader via USB...:-)

It reather neatly uses R for the drive letter.

zaach 18:33 17 Jan 03

my PC will not recognise the camera as a removable drive, I gather from further research that this is because the model concerned has RAM memory and not a flash type card. Will have to consider buying a memory stick, I guess.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…