Digital Camera Reccomendations

Aspman 10:41 07 Mar 03

I appreciate this may have been covered before but its a fast moving area and a fresh perspective is always good.

My work is looking for a (possible several) digital cameras. They have to be able to perform in most condition including close up work indoors. We need them to have optical viewfinders (not just the TFT screen) to save on battery life.

The software should be easy to use my non technical staff and or young children and for the same reasons we would like the camera to be on the rugged side.

Technically 2.0 megapixels is fine, zoom is nice but not needed.

Digi cameras are not my thing so I could use the opinions of some DC users.

Budget is £300 but if we get a good camera for £150 thats better.

Cheers all.

Cordy13 10:49 07 Mar 03

A trawl through this lot should give you some ideas. click here

HighTower 10:54 07 Mar 03

I have always had very good results with Fuji, but I hear that Olympus and Nikon ones are very good too. Why not register with ebay and bid for a second hand one! You can get a mint condition camera for a fraction of the price. Although you wouldn't be able to claim the VAT back you can still save a lot of money. It sounds like a compact style digital camera would be what you need for its point and click ease of use, although the better specified ones always offer this facility along with other useful features like exposure compensation and manual exposure. You can use the normal viewfinder for most instances but have the option of the TFT screen for close up work.

Gongoozler 11:06 07 Mar 03

Hi Aspman. I have been very pleased with my Sony DSC-P71. This has 3.2Mp and zoom, and it is currently selling at about £250. The DSC-P51 is similar but with 2Mp and is about £190. Sony memory sticks are a bit more expensive than other media but are reasonably priced at 7dayshop. For a good overview of digital cameras, and reasonably copmpetitive pricing have a look at Internet Cameras Direct click here. They also have user and expert reviews for most or the cameras they sell.

MAJ 11:10 07 Mar 03

I'm going to recommend a Sony CyberShot DSC-P71. It's slightly above the spec you're looking, but it is a great camera, I love it. 3x Optical zoom, preview screen, optical view finder, 3.2 MegaPixels, comes with charger, 4 NiMH recharable batteries, 16MB Memory Stick, All cables needed, Video (no sound) option. And boys-o-boys can it take some great pictures. Of course it also has the macro function. It costs about £300, but well worth the money IMHO.

MAJ 11:12 07 Mar 03

Snap, Gongoozler. :-)

MartinT-B 11:40 07 Mar 03

The Kodak taht came out at Chrismas it excellent.

Fab point and clcik for Kids and the 'older' generation but very easy to override for special effects etc. for someone who would like more control.

The Software and docking station work well too.

I think it's the DX4330
3.3 million pixels
click here

Costs $299.00 in the USA and cam be shipped.
£218.00 in the UK click here

There may be chaeper outlets

Aspman 12:27 07 Mar 03

Any comments on battery life with your repective cameras?

Aspman 12:32 07 Mar 03

'respective' I was trying to type.

3 votes for the sony. The Boss likes the look of the Fujis. I liked the idea of the Kodak with the base station to simplify things for the users but I'd read the picture quality wasn't fantastic.

Ease of use is a very big consideration for us.

PS.Dear Forum editor can we please get an edit button so I can go back and correct my frequest spelling errors!

MAJ 12:44 07 Mar 03

Can't tell you exactly what the battery life is on the Sony CyberShot DSC-P71, but I have only charged mine once (after the initial charge) since Christmas. I have taken about 150-200 pictures plus about a dozen or so small videos, plus all the playing around and testing you do with a new toy. I haven't used it in about a week or two, but the batteries still have plenty of charge left. It takes about 11-13 hrs to charge the batteries with the supplied charger, but a faster charger is available, optionally.

Aspman 12:56 07 Mar 03

Hi MAJ,

How easy do you find the camera to use? Do you think a young child i.e. 8-10 yo would manage to use it?

Also what do you think of the software that come with it?
I've never seen the sony DC software but others I've used are not the best thought out packages ever.

Thanx again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…