digital camera pixel query

spud 22:25 12 Dec 03

Hi all
Can anyone explain to me the true pixel capability of digital camera's that say 4 million pixel output 2.1 million effective pixels,
iv'e heard the higher the pixels the better the camera
Thanks in advance

If you are a family snapshot man then anything better than 1 Million of pixels will produce perfectly acceptable pictures. I have a Fuji Finepix 1.4 million camera and it does the job for me.

The higher the pixels the better the quality is true, and the less frames available on a given size memory card, and the more money you outlay to purchase the camera in the first place.

There is some trickery, but I cannot recall what it was, when you see 4 Million but actually 2.1 Million, another way of increasing the cost?

MAJ 22:47 12 Dec 03

I believe that the actual number of pixels used to record the picture (on that CCD) is 2.1 megapixels. 4 megapixels is the actual size of the CCD but not all the pixels are used in recording the image.

NotsoNewuser 23:03 12 Dec 03

The higher the number of effective pixels the better quality the final print when printing large pictures.
A 3 mil. pixel camera will give a good print of A4 size by taking an image of 2048x1536 pixels.
That's your 3million.
If you enlarge a low resolution picture your application will calculate the additional pixels needed to reach the size requested as opposed to them being original true pixels.

siouxah1 23:24 12 Dec 03

click here

Have a look here some good info on digicams and resolution etc.

Regards Brian j

Pesala 23:26 12 Dec 03
  spud 23:49 12 Dec 03

Thanks guy's for all your help,i'm a bit wiser now

Newuser3443 08:49 19 Dec 03

My understanding is that a 4mp camera with 2.1mp interpolated means that the camera's CCD (charge coupled device), takes an image of 2.1mp, but then uses a method called hardware interpolation to in effect add extra pixels (for which it obviously has to use an algorithm to apply a degree of guess work) to increase the images resolution. Because it guesses, it can never be as accurate as a CCD which has a true resolution of 4mp.

Having had a 1.3mp camera previously, I believe the absolute minimum you should be looking for is 2mp (unless you want to print out images smaller than 6 x 4 ?)

The likes of Paintshop Pro and Photoshop can already do this via software though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac