Digital camera pictures

Jomi 17:05 10 Aug 03

I'm using a Kodak DX3700, the pictures have been great (for me!) but recently seem a little on the dark side. Using Paintshop pro 7, I can brighten them quite nicely but what could be the cause?
Could it be the camera, the transfer software, or me?

Stuartli 17:56 10 Aug 03

It just might be your monitor brightness/contrast/colour settings - the same problem occurs with DVD playback for many people and some of the newer monitors have the facility to temporarily boost brightness to cover such eventualities.

Jomi 18:43 10 Aug 03

Thanks Stuartli, I'm pretty sure that's not it, when I transfer the pictures from my camera some of them are fine others are dark, if it were the monitor then all of them would be dark right?

Confab 20:32 10 Aug 03

A similar thing happened on my digital camera and it took me ages to work out what it was. I eventually discovered that when my wife was taking pictures she would sometimes - but not always - block the flash with one of her fingers!!

BURGMAN02 20:42 10 Aug 03

Do your dark pictures contain a lot of sky or strong backlighting?

Stuartli 23:14 10 Aug 03

Further to Burgman02's posting, does the camera have an area marked in the viewfinder for the exposure reading?

If, as Burgman02 suggests, you have strong lighting contrasts, it could cause the camera to underexpose some shots because it will be misled by the brighter areas.

By pointing the viewfinder's marked area at a more evenly lit part of the shot you will reduce the chance of this happening.

Another way is to use fill-in flash if the camera has this option; it's also a good way of balancing lighting on the subject in backlit shots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…