Digital camera pics on 36inch TV

reddwarfcrew 16:42 20 Sep 03

Hi,

I put some pics taken on my 4mp canon IXUS 400 digital camera (on the highest resolution settings and superfine mode) on picture cd, but on my folks 36inch TV, the objests have quite jagged edges.

What number of megapixels would you need to get good results when viewing on a 36inch screen?

Cheers.

woodchip 16:58 20 Sep 03

If they are at full screen, you will have jagged edges. The res of your camera is not great enough

The Sack 17:17 20 Sep 03

the resolution of a 4MP camera far exceeds that of any TV which a screen res of 600x480 or something supidly low. The reason why you have jaggies is simply because the image is that big with such a low res, it is nothing to do with the camera or its resolution.

reddwarfcrew 17:41 20 Sep 03

not sure I understand that. How come we get great images on 36in TVs from DVD films etc?

Stuartli 18:16 20 Sep 03

Is the TV a tube or projection type? The latter will provide inferior picture quality to a tube version.

There is no reason why your digital camera shots should not be virtually as clear and sharp as on a monitor or TFT screen even at that size.

Digital projectors provide excellent quality yet their megapixel level is not all that great - average is about 1.5 million pixels.

hssutton 20:11 20 Sep 03

As Stuartli says, you should be able to view images on your TV which are almost as good as viewing them on your monitor. You say that you are using the highest resolution settings and superfine mode, This suggests that your images are all saved as Tiffs @ +10Mb?. If this is correct are you then converting to Jpegs before making a "Picture CD"?.
If so how much compression are you using?.

I make VCD/DVD slideshows using Jpeg images which are approx 3Mbs each. when viewed on my 38" widescreen TV the images are almost on a par with being viewed on my 19" TFT monitor

LAP 20:21 20 Sep 03

You state 'I put some pics taken on my 4mp canon IXUS 400 digital camera on picture cd.' I have a DV digicam and this is only 1.5mp the pictures viewed in jpg direct from camera to our 28" TV and are 'perfect'.(as is the video) Is it the case that you have transfered the pics first to cd then viewed them; is the problem, has something been lost/corrupted along the way. Perhaps someone who has the knowledge can answer!

reddwarfcrew 22:42 20 Sep 03

Its s standard 36in TV, I have simply transferred the pics from the camera (in JPEG format) and then written to disc.

They look fine on my 32in TV, but not so great on the 36in.

reddwarfcrew 14:57 21 Sep 03

BTW, the results are the same if I just connect the camera straight to the 36in TV (Tosh 36ZP38).

Am I missing a setting on the TV?

Stuartli 16:44 21 Sep 03

If you are converting them to .jpeg then you are compressing the pictures and losing some definition and resolution.

The whole point of .jpegs is to enable large files to be reduced for e-mailing, web pages etc

Try them without compression on your TV - the results should be impressive.

reddwarfcrew 16:52 21 Sep 03

Its the camera that save the pic in JPEG. Spec is below:

Camera effective pixels: approx.4.0M,

Total pixels: approx. 4.1M.

Maximum number of recording pixels: 2,272 x 1,704

Still Images: (L)2272 x 1704, (M1)1600 x 1200, M2)1024 x 768,(S)640 x 480 (selectable compression of SuperFine, Fine, Normal),

Still Images: JPEG (Exif 2.2 [Exif Print] compliant)/Design rule for Camera

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…