Digital Camera memory / capacity discrepancy ?

Not exactly a problem or some thing I need help with but more a (probably) daft question.

I have a digimax 240 camera with 8mb of internal memory and a 128mb sd card.

When I use either of the memories the camera tells me how many photos I will be able to take before the memory is full.

When I take photos however I seem to be able to a good few more photos onto the memory than the camera initially led me to believe - i.e. instead of 10 pics on the 8mb of internal memory I can take about 15 or 16 before the memory is used up.

I know I should be happy & singing about this but it is bugging me - the camera is set to take pics at its max resolution (2 Mpixels).

Is this normal, am I going mad or should I have it checked?

drcmunro 16:46 09 Mar 04

you might have noticed that when you download images to your computer, the files are different sizes. The file size depends on the amount of information present in the image file, which the camera may compress slightly. When your memory card is empty, the camera works out capacity based on the maximum image size - obviously if your images are less than max. size this frees up space.

hope this makes sense!

Basically you you are trying to tell me gently that I am taking boring photos :-)

Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Cheers

[email protected]

anchor 17:08 09 Mar 04

Having checked a series of mine, it appears that the more detail in the picture, the larger the file size.

From my Canon S50 - 5Mp camera, & I have file sizes ranging from 666k to 2049k; the only difference being the subject/nature of the shot.

I am sure that your pictures are not boring at all :-).

Cheers chaps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5