Digital camera driver

2cocky 16:59 01 Aug 05

I recently bought a camera that uses DSCII as its driver. trouble is, SP2 will not accept it. Any ideas for a replacemnt/substitute?

Alan Cox

woodchip 17:05 01 Aug 05

When you loaded the Drivers did a box come up saying that it was not digitally signed Driver??? If so you should click YES not NO to carry on loading the drivers

jack 17:52 01 Aug 05

With an XP machine which I believe you have
no drivers required.
The computer will recognise the camera as a new drive in My Computer.
DSCII is i think simply the standard folder the camera stores images in.
The percieved wisdom seems to be , when the computer is an XP machine- the software that comes with cameras is best left in the box. If you have installed it -uninstall it and see what happens

Stuartli 18:32 01 Aug 05

As jack points out, XP should automatically recognise your digital camera (card reader/writer or whatever) as a Removeable Drive.

Sometimes its R (for Removeable), but multipurpose card reader/writers usually going in sequence such as G/H/I/J depending on how many slots are available for cards.

But don't be tempted to delete pix files from the system "drive" - always do it in the camera after dragging and dropping your pix files into an appropriate folder.

Bagsey 19:03 01 Aug 05

<But don't be tempted to delete pix files from the system "drive" - always do it in the camera after dragging and dropping your pix files into an appropriate folder. >
Will you tell me why you say this, because I always use the move command to put photos from my memory card to the computer and have never had any trouble over a number of years. What danger is there in doing this. Thanks for any advice

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 01 Aug 05

can cause corruption on card and then gives error message " card error " or something simular.

then will not acess pics or allow to be reformatted in camera.

Last time I had this need to put card inanother camera to format.

Never had a problem since ony copy pics when in PC mode then delete off card in camera.

jack 20:33 01 Aug 05

Cards must only ever be formatted in camera.
However it is in order tp delete data.
Netter yet Cut and Paster moves files off aneaves blank card in camera format.

Stuartli 00:41 02 Aug 05

I never said anything concerning moving pix files FROM the camera's drive letter to your system.

The advice was not to DELETE pix files from the camera whilst it was still connected to your system...:-)

The words "system drive" refer to its drive letter, whether E, F, G, H, I, J, R or whatever letter is used.

Bagsey 08:13 02 Aug 05

Yes I understand that but my point was that I use the MOVE command which shifts the pix from the card to the computer and leaves the card blank ready to store more. What is the difference between doing this and deleting pix?As I said I haver never had any trouble doing this. In fact on my old computer runing win98 I used to format the compact flash card in the card reader with no trouble. Now I dont do that with my xp machine as I have read on this forum not to.But how does DELETEING files destroy the cards format???

jack 08:48 02 Aug 05

If you Read you Windows Help File in 'My Computer' or get hold of a suitable book all may be better explained than me but it goes something like this.
'Cut','Move' - mean the same the file is 'lifted'
from one place and placed else where- leaving a clear space ready to be written .
Delete - as so often explained here in other contexts, does not actually remove the file, it is only 'switched' off so to speak, making the space available to be overwritten and be just as easily be 'switched' on again. Useful to know this because accidently deleted files and be recovered using suitable software, -even if a card is partially over written.
Formatting is something else - never format a card in the computer, only on its 'native' camera, even camera makes can vary

woodchip 15:04 02 Aug 05

I think you are talking to your self's as He as never been back since is first post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…