Digital camera connection

johnbill 21:54 06 Oct 03

Can I connect a Kodak camera to mu USB port, which I think is version 1?
Should I install a CD writer instad of, or as well as, my current CD-ROM drive?
I aim to produce picture CDs to view on TV via DVD player.
System config = Celeron 366 360Mgh, 64K RAM, 6.43Gb hard drive

OneSirKnight 22:13 06 Oct 03

your specs are a bit on the low side, but if your camera has a usb connection you can download your photos but it wouldn't be long before your PC grinds to a halt ,also you can use a card reader to load your photos from the memory card in your camera,but of course your going to need a CD-writer to record your photos too

johnbill 20:16 08 Oct 03

Thanks 'Once a night'

Where do you think the weaknesses are? processor, memory or USB and can they be upgraded cost effectively. maybe I should consider buying new system complete.

y_not 20:27 08 Oct 03

IMHO seems a little light on RAM. To view the photos on TV are you planning to connect directly to the TV or via CD/RW? If the later you will need to consider some form of software (or Nero) to burn these as SVCD's.

Post back if you want more info on SVCD's.

p.s. my memories getting a little light nowadays - can I upgrade mine (not the PC's!)?

Gongoozler 20:30 08 Oct 03

johnbill, I think that as long as your usb port works ok with other devices you will have no trouble downloading your pictures. You will quickly fill your hard drive with picures though. A 3Mp picture in jpg format is typically almost 1M, so if you store 1000 pictures, which doesn't take long with a digital camera, you will use nearly 1G of your hard drive. I find that when a hard drive gets more than about 75% full the system starts to get unstable, so you will really need a cd writer to store your pictures. The other weaknesses of your system are the low processor spec (by modern standards) and small RAM. These will only be a problem when you want to edit your pictures. The slow processor will cause the manipulation of the large amounts of data to take a long time, and the small RAM may cause your computer to have to use the hard drive to temporarily hold data during the processing.

johnbill 20:48 14 Oct 03

y-not

Sorry about not posting back but my message seemed to go astray.

Would appreciate more info on SVCD's.

christmascracker 21:06 14 Oct 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…