Digital camera for beginner

number 16 20:50 10 Dec 04

What do you think of the canon A75 power shot?

Salinger 20:57 10 Dec 04

Review click here

woodchip 20:59 10 Dec 04
  Graham ® 21:02 10 Dec 04

Some things, like TFT screens and cameras, you have to see for yourself. The A75 is not entry level, if you haven't used a digital camera before, you will be well pleased (or is this a present?).

Go to Jessops, they will let you hold and practice with one.

click here

DWANE PYPE 00:54 11 Dec 04

number 16

Bought one a few weeks ago off E-Buyer for £130,but now going for £148, It's a excellent camera,has got a very good instruction book, and software. You can use it in the Automatic mode like a point and shoot camera, till you get used to the other 13 shooting modes, but do buy some re-chargable batteries,This is my first dip into the digital side of photography, but well pleased with my Christmas Present, (which will have to be wrapped up xmas eve and put under the tree).

Giggle n' Bits 01:18 11 Dec 04

The one at the top of the Charts in PCA Magazine. Its Excellent for £230 from Ebuyer or Dabs.

Kodak EasyShares are solid and are in the charts often. The latest one in PCA Charts knocked the Sony out total.

griffon 56 02:43 11 Dec 04

Hi number 16,

If Amazon have any left I can thoroughly recommend the Kodak LS633 at just under 100 quid, down from 179 last year, and higher the year before. Importantly it has a very good Schneider-Kreuznach lens, 3.1mp and 3x optical zoom as well as 2x and 4x digital zoom. It's also compatible with the Kodak Easy Share Dock and is built like a brick outhouse. I thought that I would never adapt to a digital camera, but this little beauty has won me over and I am delighted with it. Its results are so good a leading waterways magazine accepted a picture for publication without reservation. It's an older model, of course, but it was once one of Kodak's leaders, and as a general rule it's often better to go for an slightly out of date version than for the leading edge one with the higher price.

However, Canon cameras get high recommendations. My son has the 2mp A65, now a couple of years old, but he swears by it and it is identical in the body and functions to the A75 seen recommended everywhere, so you wouldn't go wrong with this one either. The best camera I ever had was an optical Canon Demi which took two shots per 35mm. In spite of it being only a half frame format the resolution and focus was outstanding and 11 x 8 prints were exceptional.

hssutton 12:18 11 Dec 04

The Canon A75 I can recommend, an excellent camera, for the money. I have bought 3 as Xmas presents. Unfortunately Ebuyer are now out of stock. I'm sure they had almost 200 in stock when I purchased the last one just over a week ago.

Faffingwaste 13:04 11 Dec 04

Hi OP: Just a thought. . . I tend to purchase stuff that has been run-out by the manufacturer due to replacement models. One of my 2004 'best buys' has been my 5mp Minolta DiMage A1, replaced now by the 8mp Minolta DiMage A2.

The A1 takes great photographs, is a camera you can use straight out of the box as a point-and-shoot yet has the advantage that you can also 'grow' into it and find that the more you use it, the more you can get to grips with different aspects of digital photography. It's particularly good for working with post-processing software like Photoshop. The image stabiliser is brilliant, too, especially on long zoom and low-light situations. And the 5mp is great for beautiful A4 prints (and maybe higher than that, but as I don't have an A3 printer, I can't say for definite). The added bonus is that there's a supportive Minolta A1 user group on the 'Net as well.

Just twelve months ago, Minolta released the A1 with an RRP of £995 and a 'street price' of around £699. I paid less than £300 on eBay. So OK, I've bought an 'old' model. But surely the point to bear in mind with all digital cameras is that their value curve conforms not to the traditional film camera market, but the computer market. And we all know what happens when you buy a new computer: it halves in price very, very soon after.

My advice would be to look carefully around the marketplace and also check Internet sites like dpreview and Steve's digicams to get a 'feel' for cameras, features, etc -- reviews are all dated on these sites, so you can immediately tell how long it's been since a model was released (and if it has a successor). Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…