Digital Camera Advice – Again!

GroupFC 11:49 06 Jun 03

I am looking to buy a digital camera, to make my first venture into digital photography. I know this subject has been “done to death”, on these pages as I have been following a lot of the relevant threads for some weeks now. I have also visited lots of the sites mentioned in the various threads.

I just can’t make up my mind!!

My budget is £150 - £200 and my shortlist of three (or is two or four?) are: -

Canon A40, Fuji Finepix 203, Fuji Finepix 2800 and Nikon Coolpix 2100.

Does anyone have any advice or comments (or even other recommendations) to throw in to confuse me even further, or indeed help me to make up my mind? I promise I won’t hold anyone but myself responsible if (when?) it all goes pear-shaped!!

graham√ 12:11 06 Jun 03

If you have researched the subject and know how many pixels you can get for the money, the next criteria has to be the feel and ease of use. Go to a local shop and then somewhere like Jessops, the staff wil be glad to help and will not pressure you. I bought an Olympus 2040ZOOM two years ago, slightly above your £200, and it's great! But, I find I don't use a lot of facilities, like manual photography where you can adjust everything. When I want to change the flash settings, I have to get the book out!

The moral is try not to spend on things you won't use.

graham√ 12:12 06 Jun 03

Oh, and buy a card reader for it!

Big Elf 12:16 06 Jun 03

I have a Fuji Finepix 2800 Zoom and am very pleased with it. One thing that attracted me to it was the 6x zoom. I only ever use it with the 'best' setting and with an additional 128MB Smart Media card I can get just over 160 photos on it. It also has an option to take mini movies but the quality is 'iffy'. It does get confused on bright sunlit days when taking pictures of blue water and tends to oversaturate the blue. Despite that I would still recommend it. Battery life is very good and I took over 150 photos (about a third of them with flash) and the rechargeable batteries I bought as an extra still had some life in them.

If you're using WinXP then you will have to download an update for the finepix viewer software that comes with it.

As always with cheap digital cameras don't expect the same quality that a conventional £20 film camera can provide.

Pesala 12:21 06 Jun 03

Eeny, meeny, miney, moh ... (~_~)

Four good cameras in a row

Each one has a lot of features

Enough to need a dozen teachers

Does the man at Jessops know?

Will he part me from my doh?

PC Advisor folks are sly

They will tell me which one to buy.

GroupFC 12:28 06 Jun 03

Pesala
Nice one! I hope your right.

graham?? and Big Elf
Thanks for comments. I think it could be a trip to Jessops to see what's what!

Diemmess 12:31 06 Jun 03

To underline what graham√ has said

Try and avoid something covered in options which you may not use.

Do buy a card reader or make sure there's a valid USB connection

Ideally visit a shop like Jessops where you can get the feel of the thing and choose what feels right for you. The highest rez cameras tend to be less compact and may have a confusing menu of settings........If you have a high resolution, you probably don't need very high zoom numbers. It is all a trade-off between the facilities you think you need together with price and convenience.

With model numbers and prices changing all the time, unless you have a brand loyalty, go buying with a price limit and an open mind.

anchor 13:35 06 Jun 03

I have just made a critical analysis of sample pictures taken with the Fuji 2800, Nikon 2100 and Canon A40, (I could not find any from the Fuji 203).

From this I concluded that the best were from either the Canon A40 or Fuji 2800. The Fuji 2800 has a 6x optical zoom, the Canon A40 a 3x. The Canon is understandably less bulky.

Either will give you excellent results, it really comes down to your requirements, and which you feel most comfortable with.

A digital camera review site is here click here

anchor 13:39 06 Jun 03

You might like to read this thread

click here

This person has just bought a Fuji 2800.

GroupFC 14:21 06 Jun 03

Thanks to you all for your comments.

Anchor, I knew you would come to the rescue! as I have seen your name come up a lot on this subject!

I had been to that review site before but had forgotten the address (I know, I know that's what favourites are for!), its very useful so thanks for that, it is now safely tucked away.

I notice you don't make any comments about the Nikon is this because you didn't rate the sample pictures?

Anyway I'll have a complete study of all the details over the weekend, when hopefully I'll have more time!

I feel like the time for parting with some dosh is rapidly approaching!

AubreyS 14:58 06 Jun 03

graham√
GroupFC may not need the card reader as a lot of the camera's now have a USB connection. Saying that, I still have the card reader that I used with my old camera and it is great for transfering data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…