Digital to Analogue sound converter

Graham ® 09:35 26 Nov 05

Not strictly computer related, but the TV is near the computer...

I have a new Freeview box, but the audio output is digital, and my sound system for the TV is analogue. Can I get a converter?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:56 26 Nov 05

Not sure what you are trying to do?

Usually you connect the freeview box to the TV with a scart cable. Sound and video pass to TV via the scart.

If you are using the RF loop through and are connecting tothe TV with an aerial cabl again you should have no problems.

The audio out put is usally for connecting to HI FI systems for surrond sound etc.

Graham ® 11:20 26 Nov 05

Thanks, the TV in question has very poor audio and speakers, so I use a Home Cinema amp for sound. It only has analogue inputs.

Graham ® 12:39 26 Nov 05

Never thought of pulling the audio from scart! Trouble is, I'm using both scart outputs.

Stuartli 13:20 26 Nov 05

If you have a Nicam stereo TV it's digital sound in any case.

All TV transmissions, from the time of FM through to UHF, generally have very high standards of sound quality - as you have discovered, it's the poor speakers and, probably in your case, equally low quality amplication that's the problem.

Nicam, first introduced about 15 years ago, was a major step in encouraging TV manufacturers to substantially upgrade the audio side.

Stuartli 13:22 26 Nov 05

Unless you have a digital television set, Freeview digital transmissions are converted back to analogue - otherwise your analogue TV couldn't handle them.

It's also the reason for the slight delay between an analogue transmission and watching the same programme on Freeview.

Graham ® 13:51 26 Nov 05

Sorry, couldn't get back on the site 'til now.

Thanks all, I'll be off to Maplin's before you can say Dave Robinson. Will keep the thread open to post the outcome.

Graham ® 20:07 26 Nov 05

For those that need to know such things: click here

Graham ® 15:01 27 Nov 05

OK, the Scart to Scart with phono inputs didn't work because the inputs are just that - for inputting audio. So I will trade them in for click here.

Silly me, I overlooked the fact I was already using a Scart to phono audio and video to connect the Freeview box to the DVD recorder!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…