Dificulty starting XP

wetterfugal 15:24 14 Mar 03

I have been having a lot of trouble lately which would seem to have been due to a Radeon Driver. Before I discovered the driver problem I attempted to reinstall/repair XP. The CD loaded and I selected repair and it ran for a couple of minutes and froze. Eventualy I shut down and and tried again without success. Now that the main problem has possibly been resolved I do not need to do the install/repair.

Now evert time I boot up I get a menu with a choice of WinXP Pro or WinXP Pro setup. (I believe that some of the attempted setup files are still on the computer) If I don't select the fist option it runs the setup which results in a blue screen error and will not continue.

How do I get rid of the setup option as XP boots ok now.

Regards, V A

Legolas 17:08 14 Mar 03

Right click the My Computer Icon on your desktop and choose properties click the advanced tab and click settings on the start up and recovery section this might give you the choice to delete the failed install.

wetterfugal 17:27 14 Mar 03

There is no way to get rid of it but there is an option to set either the fastdetect or the setup as the default and I think that this may solve it by disabling the setup default.

The "boot.ini displayed was as follows.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows
XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

It is not convenient to reboot now but I will post back in about an hour with the results. It certainly looks ok. Thanks, V.A

wetterfugal 18:48 14 Mar 03

I have rebooted and all is well, the nag sceen is still asking me if I want to choose setup but as it is not the default it closes in about 3 secs and boots normally.

I wonder if I saved the boot.ini file as old and deleted the line "C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup" If it would remove the option, but then I should leave well alone.

Thanks for help Regards Vic A.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…