Difficulty with wireless router for cable internet

Quickbeam 12:45 31 Mar 07

I'm having difficulty making a Belkin wireless router find an internet connection (Telewest/Virgin media).

I've done everything that the setup wizard says, but after the ten attempts it tries to make a connection it just fails.

One thing it keeps mentioning is to use the network cord (RJ45) that came with the modem. Only when it was installed it was done via the usb plug on the modem, no RJ45 cord was left by the engineer. Anyway I bought a cat6 RJ45 patch cable from PC World... is this suitable & is there a difference between a patch & a crossover cable?

Thanks

Forum Editor 23:03 31 Mar 07

did you set the network protocol as 'Dynamic IP' or did you use PPPoE?

With Virgin media you must use Dynamic IP. if you don't, the router will not detect an internet connection.

Strawballs 01:21 01 Apr 07

What model of belkin router is it?

Quickbeam 09:23 01 Apr 07

Yes I used the Dynamic IP setting.
Belkin model NoF5D9230-4 Wireless G+ MIMO router.

The reason I wonder about the RJ45 cable being compatible is that the one supplied with the router for connecting to the computer says on it 'cat5e patch cable ID 26254', the one I bought says 'cat6 high performance patch cable R7J704' on it.

Rightly or wrongly I bought the highest cat cable available (thinking as with USB it would be backwards compatable with lower specs),I've never used any of these cables before & it's the only bit of kit I've bought in addition to the Belkin box. It also stresses quite clearly to use the cable supplied with the modem (I don't have one) to go between the modem & router, & not to use the supplied one in this part of the setup... no idea why???

Qb

fitshase 10:31 01 Apr 07

You need the same cable as the one connecting your computer to the router.

Forum Editor 11:12 01 Apr 07

you have an NTL/Virgin media cable modem, and it is connected to the Belkin router via an RJ45 cable, is that right?

You then set up the router by connecting it to your computer with another RJ45 cable, is that correct?

The router should come with its own cable, and that's the one you use to connect to your computer. Prior to having the router, your modem would have been connected to the computer via a normal CAT5 network cable, and that's the one that should now be plugged into the back of the router.

The modem connects to the NTL/Virgin service with its own cable.

Quickbeam 11:41 01 Apr 07

Ahh... in that case I'll get a cat5 cable & try that. The problem is that the Telewest engineer that installed the BB in the first place, set it up to run off of a USB cable... and being as engineers are, he took all spare bits away at the time (3 years ago).

Off to PC World...

Quickbeam 13:28 01 Apr 07

Nope, that didn't work either... didn't expect it to really.

Is it because the BB was installed on the USB connect? I'm wondering if I should uninstall the BB & reinstall it using the RJ45 plug on the modem (Motorola SB5100) from scratch?

fitshase 22:03 01 Apr 07

One thing to try is to disconnect the modem and router from the mains and unplug everything.

Now, plug a RJ45 cable from the modem to the router. Next, plug another Rj45 cable from the router to the computer.

Now, plug in the router and the modem and switch them on.

Quickbeam 08:01 02 Apr 07

No joy with that either, but reading the wizard more carefully... I think I will need to reinstall the BB from scratch using the RJ45 plug & not on the USB as setup by Telewest.

It'll be later on before I get time to muck about with this.

Quickbeam 19:27 02 Apr 07

Still isn't finding a BB connection... so I'm trying to set it up on a laptop so I don't cock up my desktop system in the process.

I'm just running the acer recovery disk to start with a clean system, I cant get that to connect with the BB running as setup for USB connection... I shouldn't have to go to all this trouble to get a wireless network going should I?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009