Difficulty installing printer via USB

Schopenhauer 16:18 10 Dec 03

I am trying to help a friend who is having trouble installing a Canon printer via USB.

The installation appears to go well using the supplied CD, and test prints work OK. However, after switching off the PC will not start with the printer plugged in, it hangs just before the Desktop loads. It will start, though, in Safe Mode. Disconnecting the printer, either by switching off or unplugging the USB cable allows the PC to start and then, if the printer is reconnected it works OK.

I have not had much experience of USB, but surely it is not normally neccesary to disconnect every time the computer is switched off?

AndyJ 16:48 10 Dec 03

Have you got the power lead plugged in to the printer correctly and switched on the printer (this used to be a problem with Canon printers as I recall).

You may also need a BIOS upgrade.

Schopenhauer 10:23 11 Dec 03

I'm sure the printer is correctly connected, as I said, it works OK initially, it's just that it seems to stop the PC from starting whilst it's plugged in. I'll look into the bios question if there are no further suggestions.

Djohn 10:32 11 Dec 03

Which operating system is your friend using, also model number of printer?

Are there any other USB hardware items connected as well, and is the printer connected direct to the USB connector on the PC, or through a hub?

Diemmess 10:35 11 Dec 03

I used to have this problem with a SCSI scanner (which initially was wrongly terminated) but it still requires the scanner to be switched on before Windows boots up. I can switch off or even disconnect once Windows is running, but if I wish to use the scanner, that must be switched on first.

I realise that SCSI has little to do with USB but if it offers a work-around answer it may worth it to avoid more hassle.

Schopenhauer 16:47 11 Dec 03

Djohn

Win98 is the O/S, not sure of the printer model number.

Printer is connected directly to a USB socket, the only other USB hardware is a Broadband modem.

Schopenhauer 16:51 11 Dec 03

Update. model No. of printer is S200

Djohn 16:55 11 Dec 03

Schopenhauer

Ask your friend to try using the printer without the B/B modem connected to the PC. If it then works fine, the problem will be the modem drawing all the power from the USB connction, they tend to draw a high load. This can then be solved by using a 4 port powered hub. j.

Schopenhauer 10:35 17 Dec 03

Thanks for that advice, unfortunately it did not work, the same thing happens whether the modem is plugged in or not.

However, I now think the problem lies in the printer, since I have tried it in another PC where it does not work at all. I think I'll leave it there as I think my friend will be glad of an excuse to but a combined printer and scanner. Thanks for the help.

wee eddie 22:57 17 Dec 03

Is it turned on or off, when the PC is powered up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…