Difficulty Installing Lexmark 1100 printer to XP

noclue 03:18 25 Aug 05

My old computer ran on Windows 95 & the Lexmark 1100 printer ran ok. Due to the new computer I knew I had to download a driver that was compatible with XP. I installed it using the New Hardware Wizard telling it that the printer was not a plug a play. It eventually installed although it had said the driver was not digitally signed. On the turning on the computer the next day I found the Detected New Hardware Wizard Message appeared and kept reappearing. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer again but to no avail. Has anyone had any experience with such things Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 07:43 25 Aug 05

When the new hardware wizard appears, do you allow it to go follow through to the end, ie by clicking next etc?

Diodorus Siculus 07:44 25 Aug 05

When the new hardware wizard appears, do you allow it to go follow through to the end, ie by clicking next etc?

noclue 05:16 26 Aug 05

Yes I did go through the process again thinking for some reason that this would resolve the new hardware wizard from appearing again, but to no avail

Totally-braindead 08:40 26 Aug 05

I have had a similar problem with my Epson, it drove me nuts but there was a solution for me at least. I installed my printer driver from the Epson disks and everytime it switched on the add new hardware wizard would start. The solution in my case was to let XP install its own driver, I then had 2 drivers listed and just had to pick the default one. Since the driver was installed the add new hardware wizard no longer appears.

However having looked on the website for Lexmark I see that the driver they use for XP is a Win 2000 driver and isn't digitally signed as you say. The solutions would be buy a new printer, Epson are a lot cheaper than Lexmark for replacement cartridges anyway OR if someone on the site knows how to disable XP looking for a driver for your printer, I don't know if you can do this but hopefully someone on the site will know if it can be done or not. If it can't then you'll just have to live with it, incidently my scanner is the same as your printer but since I very seldom use it I can live with it.

The solution I would go for is to get a new printer, if you buy a cheap Epson for example it would virtually pay for itself as it comes with a black and a colour cartridge and it would probably work out cheaper than buying a replacement black and colour cart for your Lexmark.

Totally-braindead 08:40 26 Aug 05

I have had a similar problem with my Epson, it drove me nuts but there was a solution for me at least. I installed my printer driver from the Epson disks and everytime it switched on the add new hardware wizard would start. The solution in my case was to let XP install its own driver, I then had 2 drivers listed and just had to pick the default one. Since the driver was installed the add new hardware wizard no longer appears.

However having looked on the website for Lexmark I see that the driver they use for XP is a Win 2000 driver and isn't digitally signed as you say. The solutions would be buy a new printer, Epson are a lot cheaper than Lexmark for replacement cartridges anyway OR if someone on the site knows how to disable XP looking for a driver for your printer, I don't know if you can do this but hopefully someone on the site will know if it can be done or not. If it can't then you'll just have to live with it, incidently my scanner is the same as your printer but since I very seldom use it I can live with it.

The solution I would go for is to get a new printer, if you buy a cheap Epson for example it would virtually pay for itself as it comes with a black and a colour cartridge and it would probably work out cheaper than buying a replacement black and colour cart for your Lexmark.

noclue 00:52 28 Aug 05

Thanks I maybe will try first the option of seeing if XP will install it's own driver first only because I have a full ink cartridge and onls having just bought a new computer recently the pennies are a bit short at present, but thanks for giving me something to work on. I was going to eye up an epson printer eventually once the old finances allowed

WhiteTruckMan 10:23 29 Aug 05

plug the printer in, insert the cd that came with it. when it autoplays, cancel it then go to device manager and tell it to update driver for usb device. let it search automaticaly for driver (including on cd).

noclue 02:02 31 Aug 05

Thanks will give that a go to anything is worth a try , it is a parallel device though so I am summising I would not choose usb device but parallel device. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…