Different Version of Windows

Spr 21:18 12 Dec 05

The chap who built my PC last year took it away about 6 months or more to do some work on it. To-day I tried to upgrade but got the following.

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Is there anyway I can get around this problem I cannot get hold of the person who built my PC I dare not Format the HD as I have a lot of important files

VoG II 21:20 12 Dec 05

Which version of Windows is installed and which version are you trying to replace it with?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:23 12 Dec 05

Sounds like you are trying to install from XP CD and the PC has SP2 on it.

Spr 21:25 12 Dec 05

Sorry I should have said it was Windows XP Pro on the PC.

I'm trying to load my version of Windows XP Pro

martjc 21:29 12 Dec 05

...and what version do you have now? This person should have given you a new disk with the new installation, or at least put a copy of the disk on a separate partition on your machine. Check thoroughly to see if it exists there.

Also, I don't understand how you thought you were going to 'upgrade' using the old O/S. Do you mean 'update'? If so, this is accomplished from Microsoft's site and does not require a disk in the drive.

VoG II 21:29 12 Dec 05

I don't understand why you want/need to do this. You may need to remove SP2 first click here then run a Repair install click here

If you do a full install, it will wipe your hard drive before installing Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…