Different types of floppy with XP

palinka 15:29 13 Nov 03

I've noticed that some of my floppies, which work fine in my desktop (running ME) will not work on my laptop (XP). I've tried formatting the "duds" on both machines but it makes no difference.
But also noticed that all the disks that DO work in XP are MF-2HD or MFS-2HD, whereas the others are just HD. Is this significant? Or is there some way I can get them all to work with XP? (if I can't I may as well bin the useless ones - anyone got a recycling suggestion?)

pj123 15:42 13 Nov 03

If they are marked HD this would suggest to me that they are 720s and not 1.44. Try formatting them as 720. Nobody uses 720 floppies now so like me just chuck them away.

DieSse 16:21 13 Nov 03

HD = High Density - which is the correct designation for 1.4Mb diskettes. Most diskettes have an HD logo printed or stamped next to the slider. On the packet or the slider they may be marked 2HD - but the 2 simply means double sided - and they're all that, so it's not used so much.

720Kb disks should be designated DD = Double Density (don't ask why unless you want a page about the history of diskette drives and media!)

720Kb disks are esy to spot - they don't have a square hole in the other corner from the write protect slider.

palinka 17:22 13 Nov 03

thanks for that DieSse,helpful to know what these things mean; but it doesn't get me much further.
Mine do have a square hole opposite the right-protect slider, so should be 1.4Mb.
With the information you've given I suppose I should rephrase my question as "What does the MF or MFS bit mean? "Because that's the difference between the disks that work & those that don't.

DieSse 21:01 13 Nov 03

All the manufacturers references I can find are MF 2HD or Sony ones with MFD 2HD.

I think the MF means Micro Floppy and MFD means Micro Floppy Disk as far as I can see from the way the wording is done on the boxes. It's not particularly important or relevant - it's the 2HD bit that identifies the diskette type.

I can't find any references to MFS - except as some kind of Linux system boot diskette.

I'm inclined to think it's co-incidence - but I don't know for sure - I beleive they should all be compatible.

BUT - I will say I used to have a lot of problems with diskettes when I first installed XP on my older system - but now I have a new system and only get very rare problems.

also see this click here

also - try it in safe mode, and try it in DOS - it may be a software issue.

palinka 21:38 13 Nov 03

thanks, DieSse. I've looked at the link and will follow up the suggestions in that. It's really just a minor niggle not a major problem, but it's annoying when I start to transfer a file & then find XP can't see it. I think I'll bin the oldest & keep just those that I know work; and then buy one of those little gizmos that store 128Mb.

Sir Radfordin 22:42 13 Nov 03

In some cases XP does seem to have a problem with floppy disks - seems to be linked to when they've been used in an older OS machine. Haven't had time to test the theroy though!

palinka 10:00 14 Nov 03

Sir Radfordin, that was what I'd begun to think too, but haven't tried any experiments to prove it.

Sir Radfordin 10:23 14 Nov 03

Have got both a desktop and a laptop running XP that sometimes don't read disks when they've been used in Win98 PCs. The laptop only seems to accept brand new floppy disks that haven't been used for anything else.

Think it would be a fairly hard theory to prove!

palinka 17:26 14 Nov 03

Sir Radfordlin, that's my impression too; tho in my case it doesn't like disks that have been used in Win Me PC. As you say, hard to prove. I've more useful things to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple